The 200 series, BoxWave, and their ClearTouch screen protectors

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by BH-T3, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BH-T3

BH-T3 Yarrenbool

I know there are other threads on screen protectors but this applies specifically to the ClearTouch screen protector sold by BoxWave for the 200 series.

I have seen messages here stating, I thought, that the hx4700 screen protector, while it kind of fits, is not the perfect fit for the 200 series. I dropped BoxWave an e-mail asking if they are going to release a screen protector to the 210's real size.

This is the answer I got back:
    I would REALLY appreciate it if people who have put a BoxWave 4700 ClearTouch on their iPAQ 210's, 212's, 214's, 2nn's could please leave their comments on how well they fit, or don't fit, as a reply to this message then I will forward the link to this thread to Winkie at BoxWave.

Is he correct above where he says there have not been complaints on the fit? (I added the bold to his original message above.)

Is Winkie correct in saying that all the feedback has been positive?

Personally, if there is a gap on the left-hand side because of making a tight fit on the right-hand side for easy scrolling, then I'd prefer a screen protector that is truly designed for the 210, not a make-shift compromise solution.

I want the right-hand side of my screen protector to touch the right hand side of the screen as I have used Tweak2K2 to make my scroll bars narrower. I like scrolling by sliding my stylus along the frame edge; I don't want a gap there.

It is great to see a company that seems genuinely interested in getting customer feed-back so that they can improve/modify their products. So, if you have put a BoxWave 4700 ClearTouch on your iPAQ 200 series PLEASE give your comments here, either positive or negative. Thanks.

2. dceggert

dceggert Mobile Deity

BH-T3,
    Is this a stick on type of screen protector or one that slides under the bezel?

The reason I ask is because I had my 4705 NuShield 'slide under the bezel' protector on my 211 until my 200 series specific designed NuShield showed up. The 4705 shield is larger than the 200 series and it was difficult getting it on and in place. Once on it worked fine.

3. turak

turak Mobile Enthusiast

While I have yet to receive my iPAQ 210, I ordered three boxwave screen protectors so I had them when my 210 got here. I am disappointed to know that not only did they not bother to change the product and just assumed the old one would work well enough, they didn't even change the packaging. I paid for a screen protector for the 210, not the 4700. I am currently debating if I want to return them to them and try to get a screen protector from a different company. I had heard good things about Boxwave, but with first impressions being important, this is a bad start for them.

4. the_rangdo

the_rangdo Mobile Evangelist

I don't have a ruler handy right now, but I have mine positioned hard top and right. This leaves ~1mm gap down the left and ~2mm gap across the bottom.

Both are the least used areas of the screen for me so doesn't bother me at all.

5. Brighthander

Brighthander I love and hate my iPAQ!

What's worse. Today I received a 4700 screen protector "sold as" 210, and there's a BIG paper sticker (something like "this is the side facing PDA" on it) that has BONDED with the screen.

I tried removing the sticker, but it's glue has obviously "seaped" onto the screen protector itself, making its removal impossible, and at best MESSY. I had a thick layer of sticky glue left on the surface after removing the sticker forcibly.

I guess these OLD 4700 protectors have been sitting around for years, so that's why the stickers are not removable right now.

Right now really pissed.

6. with.the.band

with.the.band Mobile Consultant

I received the screen protector today and given the recent discussion, immediately put it on to check out size. I definitely can't say I'm happy with the fit. :(

I stuck it on anyway because I've gotten a small scratch on my screen already and not taking any more chances.

The gaps are quite visible when the screen is on, it looks awkward - even if just a mm short on all sides. Like trousers that are too short or something, it doesn't fit and I'm not happy with 'it's close enough' mentality. I bought a protector specifically advertised for a 210. Getting made for the 4700, that doesn't fit properly, makes me a very unhappy first time customer. Thumbs down Boxwave.

7. BH-T3

BH-T3 Yarrenbool

So far only three replies from people who have actually put the BoxWave ClearTouch 4700 screen protector onto their 210.

One positive, two negative. Not a lot but I'll forward the link on to BoxWave.

8. tanker_bob

tanker_bob Master of Reality

I ordered a Boxwave for my 210 this past weekend. It has not arrived yet. I will be very unhappy if it's just a relabeled 4700 with gaps around the screen. The Boxwave on my X50v fits perfectly all around the edges. I'll send the 210 one back if it doesn't fit the same way and order something else from another company that will actually fit correctly.

9. turak

turak Mobile Enthusiast

Unless they changed something in the last week, it will be even worse. They didn't even bother to relabel the packaging, it still says for iPAQ hx4700. They just say its for the iPAQ 210 on their site.

10. tanker_bob

tanker_bob Master of Reality

Ouch. Thanks for letting me know. I'll start another thread asking about other screen savers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.