That's not supposed to happen, is it?

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by jigwashere, Sep 2, 2020.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I had my iPhone charging on my desk during a phone call this afternoon. The sun was beaming through the window and I leaned back in my chair while my coworker and I chatted off topic about various happenings in the world. In my peripheral vision, I saw something move near my phone, but just attributed it to a reflection or shadow from outside. But then I saw it again. I looked down at the phone, and there was a faint, thin, 6" long wisp of smoke dancing across the screen. WTF?!? I gingerly picked it up to inspect it, but felt no heat, saw no bulging, and certainly no spark or flames. Then I realized the end of the charger had melted. Unplug!
    upload_2020-9-2_20-39-43.png

scjjtt, raspabalsa, Hook and 3 others like this.
  2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Oh my... Looks like that fruit went bad.

All joking aside, I am so glad you caught that before some significant damage was done to your device or house! You got lucky!

Sent from my Samsung Note 20 Ultra using Tapatalk

scjjtt, raspabalsa, Hook and 3 others like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

By the way, the cable brand is ZeroLemon which I purchased through Amazon in October, 2014, in a 3-pack. Time to look for the other 2!

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

scjjtt, Hook, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I was afraid that you were going to say that the Magic Smoke was escaping from your device. :vbeek:

5. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Looks like you were very lucky, jig! Maybe the cable had been bent so many times due to regular use that some strands inside broke the insulation and came into contact. With ever increasing charging wattage, the danger of fire is greatly increased too.
    That's nothing to fear, lelisa, you can always get a refill:

800px-Magic_smoke_refill_(5990429717)_(2).jpg

;)

RickAgresta, lelisa13p, Hook and 3 others like this.
  6. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Oh damn! Glad you caught it.

Lightning cables are delicate flowers-I've had USB cables I've abused for years without issue, but lightning cables tend to break a lot easier.

7. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I have broken one micro USB cable in the time that the Mrs. has broken 5-6 lightning cables. I've yet to break a USB-C. *knock on wood* That's not saying that she's careless with them. The rubber / plastic they use is notorious for quickly degrading and becoming frayed.

8. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I don't think I've ever had a cable problem like that. I'm wondering if the plug-end experienced some previous trauma that might explain the smoking and melting.

headcronie, RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I've killed one microUSB cable, and (unrelated) damaged the port on a device such that it only works with its' own original microUSB cable.

Wife hasn't had issues w/ her Lightning cables, but a different story for my sons…one of whom has a history of cable abuse dating back to his HTC Droid Eris (miniUSB).

scjjtt, headcronie and jigwashere like this.