Texting Not the Only Dangerous Habit Drivers Have, Survey Finds Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Jamison Cush, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

The general notion is that if some device offers a readout thats necessary to drive the automotive systems, it's an instrument. In general guidelines, navigation devices are currently banned *from the driver's attention sphere*. Something will have to change in the immediate future, but as long as screened resources, whether OEM or VAR or user-installed, do not get in the way of the focal attention of driving, may eventually be incorporated. Anyway, man, I'm just reviewing the legal side of the subject. If people obey so or not that's a totally different thing. There is a current legal discussion on the subject right now. As for screen devices that favor the passenger's attention and disfavor the driver's attention, they're all banned. The main reason is that there is no guarantee that the driver will not be diversed by them. Not being able to see the image doesn't mean that it'll stop a determined bad driver from pulling the neck around. Makes sense to me. Another reason is that many entertainment resources invite the passenger to unrelease from safety resources such as the seatbelt and a proper seating position; in a car crash where there's a driver and a passenger in the same car, it is rather frequent that it's the passenger who gets the very very worst part of the deal. So diversions have to be somewhat discouraged.

2. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

3. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Actually, I find the whole notion that you have to instantly know what a text says, or what in your email or you have to always answer that call to be a little nuts.

Really, just drive. Your messages will wait. :rolleyes:

4. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

You're right, of course. It was just coincidence that I got that thing this morning and thought it preferable to having to look at the phone and drive.

I think it's a matter of conditioning, like Pavlov's dog. It beeps and we automatically respond.

5. Scott_L

Scott_L Palm til it's gone!

{Deleted text} I don't know what made me say that...

Now I have one teen driving with a second getting close. I'm scared half to death of them and those around them texting while doing so. No amount of preaching from me will make them never do so, but I hope they have good heads on their shoulders and make the right decisions to keep them there.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. hal

Oh, yeah, got the same email. Saw it once and deleted. Just like LandSurveyor, I think the sole mention of this handsfree is not because the item is worth a cent, but because it is very incumbent to this thread. On and on, we will keep on seeing things revolving around this subject.

7. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Frankly, I think an app that reads emails/texts may be even worse than using handsfree for a phone conversation, which isn't good to begin with. Unfortunately, I think banning handsfree talking/texting is a bridge too far.

Hal, does that mean that Mexico doesn't have ANY cars with those built in Nav-screens? That's hard to imagine, not that I'd mind that. I don't use them.

8. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

As I mentioned a while back in a similar thread: Anybody who's actually "important" enough to have to have immediate contact will have a driver / chauffeur - They're too important to actually drive themselves. Sadly, there are a lot of people who have an overly inflated sense of self-importance and who put that ahead of the safety and welfare of thousands of others. The reality is: Few people are that critical to the continued rotation of the planet... ;)

9. hal

Uh, yes they're here. Mercedes and BMW, Acura and whatnot. Ford now sells here some SUV with more screened electronics than a come-of-age's bar, can't tell what model. But the owners easily get in trouble when they abuse attention instead of watching the road as they drive. Can't tell what's the current solution though, I don't think they're getting the screen thing closed along with some decal that reads "you're on your way to jail if you remove this"; I guess that the worst is a visit to the pound and a fat fine. I mean, the whole point is that it's not bad to install some device at the driver's reach, but use it in a manner that endangers the pedestrians. Or the other drivers. BTW, Varjak, this is not a federal law, it's working in Mexico City and Metro Area (the 16 municipalities of the Federal District, plus some 35 municipalities belonging to 3 states surrounding the Federal District). In countryside areas nobody gives a rat's @$$ for these regulations, but in urban, suburban or highways, obeyance is a must.

10. AikiScott

AikiScott Senior Lurker

And THAT is the fundamental problem -- PEOPLE, not TECHNOLOGY.

As much as I am in favor of woring to make sure people don't act like idiots, I am against an outright ban of cell phone usage while driving. If the problem is that people can't talk and drive at the same time, then you have to outlaw PASSENGERS -- and until you do that, you're not solving the (alleged) problem.

Having said that, I am 100% in favor of hands-free laws, and in favor of stronger enforcement (tickets, license suspensions) for bad/unsafe/reckless drivers. Punish the behavior to change the behavior. (Are we trying to prevent people from talking, or are we trying to get people to drive safer? What's the real goal?)

I am perfectly able to talk and drive at the same time, whether the person I'm talking to is sitting next to me, or in my ear. The secret is, I know when to shut up, I know when to hang up, and I know when to not answer the darn phone. The fundamental problem is the behavior, not the technology.

It's very hard to regulate people's behaviors, so we set up easy targets and then feel good about "doing something about it". Sadly, that doesn't address the real problem, and people just find another way to behave badly, anyway.

[/RANT]

Ahem. Sorry - that just slipped out. We now return you to your regularly-scheduled discussion of smartphones.

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.