Tethering a Pre?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by ward.smith, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

My daughter recently got the Pre Plus and she wants to tether it. I remember early on that an app was developed to do this. I remember reading about it on a pre thread after I asked if it could be done. I just did a search and could not find that thread. Does anyone know the name of the app and has anyone used it. I use USB Modem to tether my Verizon Centro and it works great. Thanks in advance for any information. I would like to get the app for my daughter's birthday which is tomorrow.

2. tmedvick

tmedvick Guy Smiley

Verizon supports tethering for an additional fee Called "Mobile Hotspot". The Homebrew app "My Tether" does the same thing, but it requires rooting and may get broken with future WebOS updates.

3. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

We are trying to avoid the additional fee. I remember reading about an app and I do not believe it was "My Tether". I will have her check out "My Tether". Where can I find it and will she need Homebrew as well? I only have a Centro and a Tx so I am a little out of my league. Have you used "My Tether" and does it work with the current update?

4. tmedvick

tmedvick Guy Smiley

I have not used it. precentral.net gives excellent guidance toward homebrew.

Mytether is - as I understand it - a bt onvolved in set-up, though getting easier all the time. There will be a forum available on precentral about the app, so I would guess it will address any 1.4 compatibility issues.
    Tethering is one the few things that Palm has warned developers about - so I would not be surprised if new compatibility issues come up with each release.

If she has a Pre Plus, she would do well to check out the homebrew information on precentral.net either way. Even without rooting, the homebrew apps offer hundreds of apps that increase the functionality of the phone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.