Testing pTunes 5.0.1 (again), found some glitches, are they known bugs?

Discussion in 'Multimedia (Palm OS)' started by raspabalsa, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Hello all!

I'm (again) testing pTunes, to see if I finally ditch Aeroplayer. I wrote Normsoft, told them about the power drain bug, and they immediately sent me the 5.0.1 beta, so no problem there. However, I found a few glitches, seemingly related to the audio processing part of the program:

1. Whenever volume boost is enabled (at whatever boost level), if a song is playing and I keep the down button (in the 5-way nav) pressed, the volume will be lowered, but pTunes will also jump to the next song in the list. This happens only if the initial volume is about 80% or higher.

2. The same thing happens if I enable equalizer or bass boost.

If volume boost is set to off and equalizer/bass boost are disabled, pTunes will act normally when lowering the volume (won't jump to next song).

3. This may be skin-dependent, but when using the Hi-Fi skin (or any variant), if I repeatedly press the on-screen button that cycles between equalizer off, equalizer on, and bass boost, pTunes will jump to thenext song in the list.

Has anyone else seen this behavior. Are these known bugs?

Thanks for any input.

2. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I haven't noticed those quirks; but will check again if I have time. I went right to the 5.01 beta because of some confusion about my upgrade and Normsoft told me to go straight to that version. I'm pretty sure I always have the equalizer and bass boost enabled.

3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Above: Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

very similar behavior, Raspy!

to get the Down arrow to make the song change, I had to have the Volume boost set to at least +6db (+3db didn't exhibit the behavior). iirc <all of 5 minutes ago> I also had the EQ and/or Bass boost engaged.

now, the "tap-tap-tap repeatedly" test of the EQ/Bass boost icon was just as you described. the 2 skins I used were HiFi-Jump and Cobalt -- same behavior in each.

and in my case, TX <haven't tried on the 755p or Centro>, even though the songs were set to play
    in order, when they jumped it was seemingly random.

4. raspabalsa

Good to know I'm not crazy! So they seem to be bugs of the 5.0.1 beta. I think I'll drop a few lines to the guys at Normsoft, see what they have to say about it. I'd like these issues to be solved soon, because my trial will end soon and I almost always keep volume boost on, so these bugs can turn into major annoyances.

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I don't understand how you came to the conclusion that you're not crazy. Evidence, i.e., your membership in the Brighthand Breakroom, would seem to indicate otherwise. :rolleyes:

6. RickAgresta

great minds, jig...no, not you and me <SER> == :rolleyes:

7. raspabalsa

On mine, the bug will manifest even at +3db. I also found another symptom: when volme boost is enabled, the point at which pTunes jumps to the next song (while holding the down button) depends on the volume boost level. If I start at maximum volume and have the volume boost set at +3db the jump will occur when the volume slider gets below around 80%. But if I set the boost to +6db, the jump will happen at around 60% of the slider. At +9db, it happens a bit under 50%, and so on. At +15db it happens at around 15%. Clearly something very strange is going on behind the curtains.

Just to make things clear, keeping the Up button pressed does not trigger the jump. Volume will rise normally, at any boost level or EQ setting.
    Interesting... so it's not skin-dependent.
    Wow... that is weird. On my TX it will always jump to the next song if set to play in order. If set to shuffle, it will jump to any other song in the list.
    I thought the evidence was all burned along with the leftovers from the last party! :D
    Hah hah... that's one weird-looking cat, Rick! Kind of freaky too.

I just wrote Normsoft asking about this bug (or bugs?, all the weird behavior seems to be related). Let's wait to see what they say about this (and please keep the crazy behavior at a minimum, because I gave them a link to this thread so they can follow our discussion) ;)

Not bug-related, but I'm almost ready to make the jump, ditch Aeroplayer, and keep pTunes. There are a couple of deciding factors. Most important, pTunes keeps up the playback while I'm surfing the web with Blazer. Aeroplayer couldn't do this: whenever I was playing music, if I turned WiFi on, playback would stutter a couple of seconds. When data is being transfered, playback will stutter and sometimes stop altogether. I couldn't really enjoy the music with Aeroplayer while online.

On pTunes playback may hiccup once or twice when connecting, but then will keep up quite nicely.

Another factor is playlists. Even though pTunes seems basic compared to most PC media players, it's way ahead of Aeroplayer IMO.

I think I'll wait to see what Normsoft says about this bug, and then I'll make a final decision.

8. raspabalsa

I received a reply from Normsoft. They say this is a known bug, and it's in their to-do list, but there isn't a fix for it yet. We'll have to wait. in the meantime I'll try to adapt by either refraining from using the volume boost, or avoiding reducing the volume continuously.

On the downside, I'm 2 days away from the end of my trial. I think I'll purchase pTunes, but I'm not sure what version to buy. I'd like the Deluxe, but it costs twice as much as the Basic version. I'm getting to like internet radio and really love gapless playback, so I guess it's going to be Deluxe after all. Decisions, decisions...

9. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Raspy, you could wait until the next sale (by which time maybe the bug is fixed). I got the Deluxe update (from V. 3) for half price.

10. raspabalsa

That sounds interesting, Varjak. Is there a way to know if a sale is coming up soon? Half price for the Deluxe version is a no-brainer, I'd jump at it right away.

11. RickAgresta

my friend, the Last sale was Christmas 2009; it did extend significantly into January2010...

as for knowing when iirc I received notification via their newsletter (emailed); again iirc, anyone can sign up for the newsletter (it goes out every montheor two).

hth, RA

12. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

They usually have one around Xmas; but I think they've had Summer sales before. More knowledgeable people than I could probably provide better info. Yes, $10 was a good deal. I thought that $20 for the upgrade was ridiculous, especially since they sell the whole app for iPhones for much less.

13. RickAgresta

I think the app for iPhones is not PocketTunes, but PocketTunes Radio...

14. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

There really isn't much point in making a version of any music player for Apple. ;)

15. RickAgresta

. 129043888847148666.jpg .

16. raspabalsa

Dang! I had no idea. Qould have been a fine birthday present from myself.
    Thanks, I've signed for the newsletter.
    Now that would be nice. Summer is not so far away. Hopefully they will have fixed the bugs by then.

17. RickAgresta

an American expression:
    "it ain't over 'til its over" ...

yesterday, in prep for a 2 hour + drive I started a new playlist (on the 755p; biggest battery of my devices); I accidentally triple-tapped a song I wanted to include; when I tapped 'OK' to save those songs & move to another artist, the song I'd triple-tapped was listed 3 times. just now, tried the same actions on TX -- same result. And now, having soft reset TX yesterday, I see your initially described volume misbehavior, using the Volume slider (Cobalt skin, +3db). *sigh*

I'd go back to 3.18, except for some of the newer skins (like Winamp Modern) which are for V. 4 or later.

18. raspabalsa

You really mean that, going back to version 3.18? What about all the newer features of pTunes, don't you think you'll miss them? The added functionality is what's drawing me to pTunes. But then these bugs can be very annoying, especially when compared to Aeroplayer, which had zero bugs that I know of (haven't seen a single glitch in Aeroplayer in more than 4 years).

19. RickAgresta

maybe I'm missing out on the greatest innovations since sliced bread, but frankly, I don't use them:
    • Album art? waste of space; even an 8Gb SDHC has its limits
    • last.fm & "scrobbling"? I don't use internet radio at home, at work, and certainly not while travelling (not with a TX, nor w/ unactivated Centro or 755p)
    • podcasts? see bullet #2

20. raspabalsa

I'm reviving this thread because I found what I think is another bug with pTunes 5.0.1. I haven't verified it yet, so I won't mention it to the guys at Normsoft until I'm sure it's a real bug.

The problem I'm seeing is that sometimes, when I launch pTunes and start playing, the selected song will be played at a faster speed than it should. Not really fast to sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks, but fast enough to notice a clear change in voice pitch and beat. After repeated tests, I've found two factors:

- This happens only when my TX's dbcache is low. Incidentally, this happens mostly when I launch pTunes after watching a movie with CorePlayer (a big dbcache hogger). After I notice the change in he music, I return to the launcher, run Off Flush and the dbcache will invariably be extremely low (under 10%, sometimes even less). It seems a cache flush will not solve the problem, even if the dbcache's largest chunk increases to a respectable size. I'm not sure about this, though, because I need to test more. The only solution I'm sure of is a soft reset (which will clear the dbcache).

- This does not happen with all my MP3 tracks. All my MP3s have been ripped over the years, using several programs. Bitrates range from 128 kbps to 256kbs. They are all ripped at constant bitrates (I checked the troublesome tracks). What's more, the problem occurs on some tracks of one album, but not on others, even when all the tracks of the album were ripped with the same program and configuration.

Has anyone seen this problem? Any ideas?