Tell-tale signs that your PC is about to CRASH?!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Shinno, Jun 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shinno

Shinno Crazed Owl

I just upgraded my desktop computer to a 2.66ghz P4 with an Asus motherboard. About once every 10 startups, the PC freezes in the midst of its bootup, right at the Asus logo page. The only way around it is to hit the restart button, which always allows to reboot and startup again smoothly.

Tell-tale sign of a system crash looming? How about any other signs that you people know of?

2. IndCom

IndCom Mobile Deity

:rolleyes: I believe I would have to contact the manufacturers support of the PC and then support for the software. But, without knowing what brand PC or OS you have, I would say that you are having driver problems on reload/boot-up :confused:

I'm no Computer Tech. Expert, but, that's whre I would start looking for help. :D

3. Anomalous

Anomalous Mobile Deity

Main telltale sign: Check your computer to see if it is running Windows. If so, it is about to crash.

4. Be3G

Be3G Mobile Deity

Lol!

:D :D

Thomas

5. imported_kenneth

imported_kenneth Member

I just got a new Mac. I was on in 10 secs, no crashing :D

6. Shinno

Shinno Crazed Owl

You guys are all too funny.

Kenneth, curious to hear your feedback on your new mac. Are you a previous Windows user? If so, how difficult/rewarding has the transition been? Have you been kept back because of any lack of software compatibility or what not?

I'd like to know since the new Mac OS' are just so damn sexy, and I definately would like to look into transitioning some time. Thanks :)

7. imported_kenneth

imported_kenneth Member

Yes, I am a previous and continious Windows user. I use Windows when I must (at school when Linux is unavailible) and Windows for games, because it's like PS2. They have a bunch of games, mostly crappy but a few that keeps me using it.

The transition was pretty easy. I still have my PC so I didn't have to send all my files, but there is this new program out called Move2Mac. You use simply connect a cord to your new Mac and PC, run the program and all your files should be transferred. It's super-simple. You should be able to see a review at www.macworld.com. It hasn't really been rewarding besides the fact that you have gained more knowledge about working with an OS that only about 3% of the population uses. It took me about 10 minutes to get on and be surfing on the internet.

Finding software was easy. Mac OS X is based on Unix. I would not say that their is lack of software capability, Windows just has alot more than people need. You should be able to find what you need easily on the internet (for free sometimes) or at a Apple Store or CompUSA Apple Section. Mac OS X however, comes with tons of free software including iTunes and iTunes music store, iMovie, iPhoto, Chess, iDVD, calculator, Appleworks. Basically more free software than a Windows machine. More useful too. They are mostly multimedia. Their are many companies that make special free software for the growing and famous Mac OS X. Mozilla has made Camino and Mozilla X browsers, Apple has added their own Safari, and Microsoft has their own Explorer. Fire is an IM that is like trillion except free source. Python the programming language offers a version for Mac. Same with Real player. When you download things like Real Player, it will automatically download the Mac version for you.

All USB hardware works perfectly. My keyboard required a driver from logitech.com, but worked flawlessy after with all the extra functions.

Why would Apple keep it's users back? If anything, you will learn something new.

Overall, since the months that I've own it, I've never had needed restarts except for 2 occasions. One time, I got a kernal panic trying to play a DVD while in a Tae Kwon Do Dojo. It wouldn't really start-up so I kept on pressing the on button, it would of killed a PC, but just a kernal panic on my Mac. I just restarted, and it booted up normally.

The other occasion was just on a desk, nothing severe. The start-ups are faster than a PC.

If you think Mac OS X is sexy, you haven't seen half of the features. You can put a laptop to sleep simply by closing the lid, and start-it up again in 5 secs. You can have desktop images in where they change every 5 seconds.

8. Shinno

Shinno Crazed Owl

^^ Wow Kenny. Thank you so, so much.

I'm glad to hear that your transition was succesful! From what i've seen, newly-converted MAC users are always faithful to their new system. I think i'm going to look more deeply into Apple's products soon.

Thanks again, your post was very helpful.

9. imported_kenneth

imported_kenneth Member

Maybe too faithful sometimes. ;)

Good places to look for Mac products besides Apple.com would be MacWorld, MacAddict or even PCWorld has some reviews. MacCentral seems to have a decent, non-biased board.

Epinions.com also has some great reviews by consumers. However, they can be very, very hypocritical. Alot of them are MacHeads than write them and they barely ever say anything bad. A way to find out if they are Mac Addicts is to simply look at their profile. If they have a link to a Macintosh-related website...they are.

Mac users are very didicated to their machines. Since our computers don't usually let us down. :D

I believe one of our moderators, Shawn Parr uses Mac. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.