TCL is reportedly reviving Palm with new devices in 2018

Discussion in 'Palm General' started by jigwashere, Aug 30, 2017.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

https://www.engadget.com/amp/2017/08/30/tcl-reportedly-reviving-palm-new-devices-2018/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gadgetry
    TCL is reportedly reviving Palm with new devices in 2018
    They’ll probably run Android since LG owns webOS, which Palm first built for its own gadgets.
    [​IMG]
    David Lumb, 2h ago
    Chinese electronics company TCL boldly claimed it would release devices under the BlackBerry name to revive the brand, and its recently-released KEYone smartphone proved them right. But according to Android Planet, the company is eyeing another classic tech name to resurrect: Palm. And they could have new devices under its name by 2018.

TCL actually bought the Palm name back in 2014, four years after HP acquired the brand and then shuttered its products a year later after they underperformed. That seemed a tragic end for Palm, which had led the late 90s and 2000s consumer device market with its PDAs and early smartphones, like the Pilot and Pre, respectively. But it looks like TCL is going to introduce an undisclosed number of devices under the Palm name early next year.

That's all we really know, thanks to an interview the company's marketing manager Stefan Streit gave to Android Planet. While he wouldn't divulge what kind of devices would be included, he did tease that smartphones could be a possibility. The only other thing he revealed was Palm's intended place in TCL's portfolio. Rather than try to spice up the brand for new consumers, Streit mentioned that the new Palm devices would be geared toward users familiar with the old ones that ruled the gadget world before the new millennium. Whether that impacts their design or just how they'll be marketed is unclear.

We can assume that the new Palm devices will run Android, just like TCL's KEYone BlackBerry phone. The operating system Palm originally developed for its devices, webOS, was included in its acquisition by HP and then sold off to LG, which continues to use it in its tablets and Smart TVs.

We've reached out to TCL for comment and confirmation, and will add it here when we hear back.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

r0k, RickAgresta, lelisa13p and 4 others like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

Looks like they will be Palm in name only. Suspect they will be cheap Android phones with Palm branding. Love to be wrong.

r0k, RickAgresta, lelisa13p and 4 others like this.
  3. jigwashere

Yes, but they'll run for a month on two AA batteries. :newpalm:

EDIT: Please excuse my typo. I meant two AAA batteries! ;)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  4. Dngrsone

Dngrsone One Serious Wiku

Well I, for one, would love to see an updated T|X...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

5. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

As much as I loved Palm & Web OS - except for Graffiti & Web OS background, I have moved on & don't see going back. I just wished that Web OS would have won the day instead of Android but...

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

r0k, raspabalsa, RickAgresta and 3 others like this.
  6. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Not me. I just got my 2 TXs refurbed last month and they're SPLENDID! :vbgrin:

Besides, I'm upgrading my iPhone 6S Plus in September and passing it on to Son. :thumbsup:

7. jigwashere

Hah! Didn't see this before my post in another thread. :D

8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I fear the same, that there will be nothing "Palm" in these devices except the hideous flat palm logo. If they would at least bring back the old round logo, then I may look into these gadgets :D

It would be interesting to know how they define "users familiar with the old ones". My own tech needs and wants have changed a lot since the TX was released 10 years ago. A standalone PDA (a small tablet in other words) no longer quite fills my current requirements.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    r0k, z22 2006 User, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  9. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

The one possibility is if they created an Android Treo with a good sized screen, dedicated and feature rich PIMs, a dedicated Desktop and seamless syncing both locally (USB and wifi) and via Dropbox. That would really capture what Palms were about, but with Android and it's more advanced features and apps. Maybe they could team up with Companion Link or CESD, Lol.

Mostly fantasy here, and not sure the niche would survive. But it might live up to the name.

r0k, lelisa13p, jigwashere and 3 others like this.
  10. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I used to think like that, and yes, that's one of the things I loved about Palm devices. But in the last year I've been assimilated by the cloud craze. I no longer do wired syncs, and even mi WiFi syncs are not local. Instead, they go to the cloud, and from there they are distributed to my other computers. Even my SD card is now backed up this way. The turning points for me were finally having reliable, good internet connection at work and home, a large data plan, and improved cell coverage at work. I'm also somewhat warily making peace with Outlook, so the PIM side is also migrating to the cloud. Maybe I'm no longer fit for a Palm?

r0k, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 1 other person like this.