1. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I have a TCL 10 Pro in my hot little hands that I'm reviewing...and it's making me so sad I can't go back to Android full time, because this phone is frigging gorgeous...

If I wanted to use it as a mini-tablet/personal wifi device, any tips on android utilities or tweaks that I might have missed out on from my years on iOS? I've reviewed Android phones on and off in the last few years so I'm not totally rusty, but this is the first phone that's made me seriously consider carrying two devices-the screen alone is just that good that I'm thinking of using it as my dedicated ebook reader.

RickAgresta, Mi An, lelisa13p and 4 others like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I hope you'll post a link to the full review when it's available. :vbsmile:

scjjtt, RickAgresta, Mi An and 3 others like this.
  3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

One thing I can't live without is Better Open With. Keep multiple browsers on your device? Choose which browser to open when you click on a link. Set Better Open With as your default browser, then you can pick your browser every time. Have multiple word processors? Choose which one to open when you click on a doc file. Far more options than that. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aboutmycode.betteropenwith

4. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

AMOLED is wonderful for night reading. Filters on LCD only remove some of the white/blue light, point your phone screen at a wall at night with the lights out and you'll see the white light leaking through, probably varies model to model how much, but my last lcd phone put a lot of white light out even while displaying black and green only. But with the individually backlit subpixels of amoled, you can completely eliminate blue light and tweak to perfect individualized comfort. For my old eyes, this has meant very noticeably less eye strain, fewer headaches, and far more comfortable reading sessions. Some people seem to be far more affected than others, but it's been a big help for me.

My preferred method of filtering is currently cf.lumen's root method. First it grayscales everything, then can apply any color scheme you want to it. Hard for me to describe the difference between that and just tossing a filter on top, you kinda have to see it, but I far prefer cf.lumen or kcal color control (requires custom kernel) to the plain filters. I think cf.lumen is typically used by people to tweak their color balance, but I go 100% red, no blue or green for night reading. I have a little notification created with tasker to quickly toggle. And I can use that one consistent experience not only across all my reading apps, but any app I might want to use. Browser, games, email, even netflix.

I believe cf.lumen has a non root method and other simpler solutions like twilight and f.lux exist specifically to handle night time filtering. Android had a built in blue light filter at one point, then it removed it, I'm guessing newer android versions might have it again, but my phone is android 7.1 so I'm not sure what's built in to newer versions.

Congrats on your new gear if this does indeed end up being a keeper :newpalm:

scjjtt, jigwashere, Hook and 2 others like this.
  5. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

@Mi An, one of the cool tricks the TCL has is that you can set the screen to behave differently depending on the app. So it changes the screen to a "reading mode" that basically does what you're describing. It also enhances the colors for netflix and other media consumption apps. You can set any app you want to reading mode, which is pretty cool.

scjjtt, jigwashere, Hook and 3 others like this.
  6. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Do you have multiple browsers on your device? 'Better Open With' sounds like a cool app. I'd like something similar. What I want to do is configure the list of apps I can share to. For example, when I read a headline in Feedly and want to get the entire article, I simply share it with Pocket. Feedly used to let me do that, but moved this feature to their subscription app. So now, when I click the share link, I have to scroll through a list of apps before I find Pocket. In other cases, I might want to share a photo, and it's usually with either Hangouts or AquaMail. I'd like to at least move those to the top of the list.

7. headcronie

I have 8 browsers loaded. Each of them work in different ways. A few I use to log into specific websites, and nothing else. Others have extensions loaded into them that allow extra utility. Some have strict privacy settings on by default, or that clear traceable elements upon close.

I'm not sure that this software will do what you're wanting. That's a different part of the OS. Sharing link is different than open with link. I'm not sure what app or how you could configure that.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  8. headcronie

Whoops. I can't count. 9 browsers with NBC not included. It is a registered url handler but is coded poorly. It should only chime in for NBC urls.[​IMG]

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

sadly, from my perspective, Boat Browser is a 'can't even open it' on Android 10..and the developers have been MIA for a while now...

headcronie, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  10. headcronie

Yep. It's been pulled from the Play store. I primarily use floating boat to view links that were posted in FB, while not wanting to lose my place in FB. Switching to a full screen browser will cause FB to refresh / go back to the beginning of the news feed which can be highly annoying.

scjjtt, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.