Tapatalk pulled from Google Play Store

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by headcronie, Oct 24, 2020.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

scjjtt, lelisa13p, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

I confess I haven't used Tapatalk in years finding that most of the forums I frequent do fine in Firefox on my mobile devices, particularly now with my Landscape Pro1 using Fulgaris, a browser optimized for the Pro1. But I'm sure it will turn out to be some ridiculous non-reason which will hopefully get corrected.

3. headcronie

Supposedly, a new version has been submitted to Google for approval. What changes they had to make... are unknown. Transparent as a brick.

4. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I had not heard that Tapatalk was pulled. I do enjoy using it - basically for Brighthand...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10.1") /128GB using Tapatalk

5. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I think I've asked this in the past, but what exactly does Tapatalk do/improve on? I admit that I pretty much exclusively check in on BH on a laptop.

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  6. headcronie

It's supposed to provide real-time notifications for forums. threads, PMs, etc, without need of email notifications. It can keep your forum credentials saved, and log you into all your favorite forums with just a click. It also allows for messaging between forum friends, outside of a specified forum through Tapatalk itself. It gives a more unified experience across all your forums.

Me, I'm just sick of email spam, so getting notifications without emails is a wonderful thing.

Notably absent, is proper integration with Xenforo forums for moderators. The tools provided are meager in contrast to what I could do when we used vBulletin while still holding super mod role. That's a tiny subset of users that would be impacted by such things though.

RickAgresta, jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  7. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Sounds good. I agree on the deluge of notifications etc. It's quite tiresome.

scjjtt likes this.
  8. headcronie

TapaTalk is back in the app store.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  9. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I still have Tapatalk Pro installed on my Moto G6 Stylus. I don't believe I'm seeing ads on it, but just got an email from Tapatalk Support offering a sale on their monthly or annual subscription to remove ads. I'll be pretty bummed if I'm forced to get the new version of Tapatalk next time I factory reset or get a new phone. There doesn't appear to be an lifetime ad-free option, either.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  10. headcronie

I got the same thing. Time will tell how this shakes out. I can't say I've been overly impressed with how the app has worked lately. Countless times where Tapatalk hasn't been able to connect to the forums. Seems like they have to constantly reboot their backend to make it work for a short while, before having to rinse and repeat.

Seems more like a money grab than funding for new features / improvements.

jigwashere, scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.