Tablet thoughts

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by questionfear, Jan 8, 2016.

1. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

So I am considering (sort of) replacing my iPad Mini. Basically, I am at the point where I barely use iOS-specific items, and when I do, I find myself bumping into all sorts of annoyances (this was all triggered by trying to get a professional textbook downloaded into iBooks, only to discover I can't turn off the godawful page turn animations, which, when combined with a charts-heavy textbook, makes browsing nearly impossible. Kindle app to the rescue).

Anyhow...here's the rub: we use my tablet as a connected device A LOT. It only costs $10/month to have it on our Verizon account, and it's super handy while traveling, especially for entertaining the little one. I also use the connectivity a lot for work meetings outside the office.

I'd kind of like to replace it with an Android tablet, but I'm a bit stuck-if I go for a generally good tablet, I have to give up connectivity (I can always hotspot with my phone, or pick up a dedicated hotspot in place of the tablet for the same $10) or I can pick up one of the Verizon-compatible tablets sold at VZW. The only one that might fit is the LG G Pad 8.3, as the others get so expensive compared to what you get it's not worth it.

Right now I am leaning towards waiting for the dust to settle on CES and Mobile World Congress, and go from there...thoughts?

scjjtt likes this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Strictly from a $$$ and ¢¢¢ perspective, you should wait. anything you buy now, is likely to come down in price once the new gadgets are announced&available...keeping in mind that I've never owned a smartphone, tablet or computer in the first year it was released…hmmm, car, either :vbrolleyes:

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  3. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

FWIW, I only use iBooks to read the instructions manuals for each new iOS when it is released for details on changes. For every other kind of eBook, I use the Kindle app on my iPad Mini-R and iPad 4 (each bought in Fall 2012.) Gosh, that doesn't sound as long ago to me as it actually is. Probably because, for me, the last 3 years have whizzed by in one long blur. :vboops: The heels of my shoes are worn down from trying to slow the pace.

I also think waiting to buy is probably a prudent choice, albeit fully aware that whenever you do decide to jump, there'll be something newer coming down the road shortly thereafter. :vbrolleyes:

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

and not from banging them on the table? :rolleyes:

scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  5. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I know intellectually to wait. :) Plus I doubt immediately after the holidays is the right time to beg Mrs QF to let me spend MORE money.

Also, I am slightly less mad now that I've gotten my books loaded fully into my Kindle app. I was just floored by how awful iBooks was...I wish I could nuke it off my iPad so I don't have to look at it anymore. Blech.

guywolffe, scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.