T5 no likes 2GB SD card

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Glennski, May 8, 2012.

1. Glennski

Glennski How Little I Know -Bucky

My T5 happily formats and uses a 1GB card, but have no luck getting it to recognize the 2GB cards I put in it. I've tried a couple diff cards, but to no avail. The 2GB cards format just fine on a laptop. I've tried FAT32, FAT etc, but no sale says the T5, they do not show up as recognized storage at all. :(

Any advice appreciated, thanks! :confused:

2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

T5 should be able to use 2GB SD cards. (Not SDHC.) What is the brand of card?

Try inserting the card into the T5, selecting from the dropdown menu on the upper right corner SD CARD and see if it shows up at all. Ideally, you want to format the card in the device.

Post your results. :)

3. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Maybe the free PalmPowerUps utility (not the one for SDHC cards) will work. I believe that this utility doubles the card capacity that some older Palms can use from 1 to 2 GB. I didn't recall myself that the T5 was already supposed to accommodate 2 GB.

4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

The T5 supports 2GB cards out of the box, there is no need to add 3rd-party software.

Glennski, I see there are a few issues with your T5 (from reading your hotsync thread), which may (or may not) be related. Have you considered doing a hard reset and starting over? You can backup to a 1GB card, hard reset, then test the 2GB card right away, before restoring or installing anything. This way you can rule out the possibility of a software conflict.

5. Glennski

Thanks, the brand is a generic brand that works in other applications (Elite Pro). The dropdown does not show it at all... I did have luck formatting a 1GB in the device with no probs though. It would be so nice to have the extra GB. Sigh! :rolleyes:

6. Glennski

Thanks very much. The T5 recognizes 1GB new cards, and asks to format them etc. It just doesn't "see" the 2GB cards and I don't get the dropdown as I do for the 1GB cards.:newpalm:

(somewhat related albeit re software: Raspa, could the runtime error be I'm still using on my laptop the old Tungsten E2 software to interface with the T5? ) I will try the scheme you suggest also re the reset...

7. Glennski

Updating.
    The T5 despite a hard reset etc does not recognize or "see" the 2GB card. I can only conclude that out of the box, this particular release just can't handle it. I'm happily formatting 1GB cards in the unit though. I may try the advanced solutions suggested to use larger cards. For now all's well I guess with the 1GB action.

The hotsync prob has been resolved and I updated the other thread. Trying to keep software and hardware discussion separate (wink to the moderators here). Again thanks everyone for the great advice!

(p.s. I find I am REALLY enjoying the quick processing power and larger screen on the T5!!! Wow what a difference from the TE2!) :cool:

8. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I've always used SanDisk 2GB cards and only that brand, never having a moment's worth of trouble. Is it possible that the fault lies in the particular card brand itself, which you described as generic? (Still searching for clues.)

In the past there was a problem with users unknowingly purchasing imposter cards made in China and elsewhere that just plain didn't work for Palm.

9. Hook

Hook Hookette says 'Tis the season!

I think Lauren's suggestion is a good one. The T5 *definitely* handles 2Gb cards just fine.

10. Glennski

Thanks, I'll investigate whether the brand makes a difference. Sounds quite likely!