T5 crashes after start up

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Zink, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zink

Zink Newbie

I have a Tungsten T5 which won't stay on. My dog chewed up the power cable, so I'm trying to use the hotsync USB cable to charge it. It seems to be working but it won't stay on after it starts up. At first it would go to the Time & Date selection, then say key lock is enabled and shut down. So I did a hard reset. Now it's going to the "Charge Batteries" screen and shutting off. Could it be that the battery is just so dead it won't stay on? Note, it's connected via usb to my computer each time i try to turn it on. I figured the power from the cable would be enough to keep it running even if the batteries are dead. Is this true? Thanks for the help!

Also, just an odd tid bit. I decided to take it apart using gethightech.com's instruction video, but when I watched the T5 video, the hardware inside didn't match what I had! I watched the TX video, and it has the exact same hardware that's inside my T5! What's up with that?!

EDIT: Forgot to mention the power button is not working, I've been having to start it using the reset button. Don't know how I forgot that...

I bet that means it's fried, huh? :(

2. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Hello Zink, Welcome to Brighthand :D:D:D

If your USB port is not able to provide sufficient power OR if you are not using a cable specifically designed to provide the charging function as well, it will not provide enough to charge ánd keep the device on. The device will trickle charge through the USB connection but this takes more time.
    I suggest to keep it connected and leave it for a good 7 to 8 hours (difficult, I know). It wouldn't hurt either to give it a soft reset after an hour or so (just to make sure there is sufficient power to complete the reset). This procedure will recalibrate the internal battery charging circuitry.

Most likely something went wrong with the links on gethightech.com. Already asked them the question ?

You can power up your device using any of the hardbuttons. Powering off is automatically done after a time-out value you can set in Preferences - Power.
    If you want to have it repaired, check with usedpdaparts.com, they have a very good reputation here (and might also have some chargers ;) ).

3. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

Welcome to Brighthand, Zink.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.