T5 Battery Not Charging Correctly

Discussion in 'Tungsten T series' started by mitchellbutt, Nov 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mitchellbutt

mitchellbutt DavidB

Hi all -
    Just recieved my new T5 as a present. It was bought in the US and taken back to Ireland for me as a gift. Needless to say I was thrilled -

I have a 110/220 converter, that I use with a card scan scanner, but been charging the battery for over 24 hours now and only getting to 65%.
    Been on the Palm Store for UK & Ireland but even thought the T5 is available to buy there are no accessories.

Question 1 - Do you think I have a problem with my battery, or am I doing something wrong ?

Question 2 - anybody know where I can buy a cradle that will work on 220v?

Been a loyal fan of Palm for over 7 years- just migrated from Vx to T5 -so far so good - if I could only get this battery thing right!!

Any help much appreciated.

David

2. iaincsb

iaincsb Newbie

I purchased my T% in the USA 2 weeks ago. I had the same problem over there. I thought I had a faulty unit. I then soft reset the T5 twice, after which it has not been a problem.

3. junglemike

junglemike Mobile Deity

One thing that i can recommend you - do a hard reset while palm is in cradle plugged to outlet.
    Also try couple of full charge-discharge sequences.

4. kernel

kernel Mobile Deity

It may also be the type of voltage converter you are using.

I've had cause to look at the output waveform of some of the little solid state converters in the past - while they do produce the corerct output voltage, instaed of doing it with a nice fat sinusoidal waveform you actually get a series of narrow peaks.

They work by turning off the output when the voltage of each cycle rises to 110V, which means you are actually getting consiaderably less than half the energy contained in the original 230/240V wave. This may not be enough to charge the Tungsten properly.

Mike.

5. rickmelton

rickmelton Mobile Deity

You don't need to do a hard reset while in the cradle. A soft reset while in the cradle will do. It resets the charging circuit in the handheld. No need to wipe your memory clean.

Rick