T3 update

Discussion in 'Palm' started by DavidH, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidH

DavidH Mobile Evangelist

How do I find out if I have the latest updates for my T3? There is a update listed on the palm website from 2003. I don't remember if I did this update or not.

2. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

There is no harm applying it regardless.
    If you already had it, it will tell you.

3. DavidH

DavidH Mobile Evangelist

I am wanting to install Card Export on my T3. They recommend installing any updates to prevent possible card corruption. I have this in my Centro and it works great. The only reason I am unsure about the update is this posting on the Palm website.

"Backup the data on your Tungsten T3 handheld, BEFORE applying this upgrade, by performing a HotSync operation. The Palm T3Update.prc will update the ROM of your Tungsten T3 handheld. During this operation, all data stored on your Tungsten T3 handheld will be removed so backing up before you begin is vital. After performing the upgrade, perform a second HotSync operation to restore your data."

I do have my data backed up in the Palm desktop but I have several 3rd party programs that are no longer available if I loose them. Does the above mean all the data that would be backed up by the Palm desktop since it only suggests Hotsync? Or does it mean everything I have installed on the T3 will be removed?

4. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

Hotsync should back up your programs, but if you really want to be safe, get a good backup program like Backupman that will copy everything to your SD card.

I also suspect Card Export is being overly cautious. I suspect you'll be just fine just installing Card Export without the update, though Card Export can be a bit more finicky than Cardreader, another program that does the same thing and is cheaper.

5. DavidH

DavidH Mobile Evangelist

Thanks for the reply guys. I will check out card reader.

6. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

I don't think Hotsync backs-up any apps. They get copied to the Backup folder during Hotsync when they get installed by either Install or Quick install. Future Hotsyncs just backup data that has it's backup flag flying.

So if I'm right, and I really think I am, any 3rd party app installed by copying from SD card etc. will not be in the Backup folder. pInstall, for instance, does not copy the installs to the Backup folder by default, you must check-off that option in preferences.

A restore Hotsync will only copy the data from the assigned PIM and everything in the Backup folder. Just check the Backup folder for the 3rd party apps you are worried about. ( 8(|)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.