T3 crashes when I try to access my Calendar

Discussion in 'Palm' started by rastafari, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Before syncing, be sure to backup your Palm Desktop stuff by copying the \[User Name]\ folder to a safe location. That way you can at least get that back on the PD side should a sync "move" problems from the device to the desktop.

As to backups - Do you keep multiple backups? I always kept at least 3 previous backups so if I had a problem I could "step back in time" incrementally until I found a "clean point."

The "memory errors" when you know you have plenty of memory available are, IIRC, almost always due to a corrupted record of some sort. Since DbFixIt couldn't check the unique IDs (for whatever reason,) there is probably still a record in there somewhere that's not quite right. In that case, the "Desktop overwrites handheld" sync might be the way to go.

2. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

My advice (FWIW :D ): Act-as-if-you-upgrade.

Most likely corrupt preferences.
    A shortcut: use FileZ and remove saved_ and unsaved_Preferences. Then soft reset.
    See how your device behaves then.

Make sure to have all registration codes for 3th party SW at hand.

3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

at this point, I don't have anything new to add w.r.t. the issue -- with hal, Joe & holvoetn you have excellent advisors IMNSHO.

but w.r.t. restoring via BackupBuddy, if you do a partial/selective restore, depending on where the corruption lies, and also depending on the 'timeline' of your backups, you may be able to restore good copies.

in any case, good luck, and if you are able to pin down the exact cause please post back; at the least, I'd like to know, and it might help someone else someday.

RA

4. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

With a backup, you can safely do a hard reset and restore from the backup. If you still get the crash, do another hard reset and then a selective restore, restoring a file at a time until you get a crash. I think you should be able to restore everything except the calendar database without problems. You probably have a corrupt record, perhaps a bad recurring appointment, or perhaps a bad attachment. If it's so bad that dbFixit can't even load the file, you may have to just bite the bullet and redo your entire calendar.

5. rastafari

rastafari Mobile Enthusiast

Well, I have finally solved my problem.
    With the assistance of the people at Pimlico (who make DbFixIt) I was able to work it out!!
    What it came to was that I had TOO MANY records in the Calendar. Running DbFixIt showed that I had 32,796 records. Apparently something happens (regarding when "a 16-bit integer becomes a SIGNED integer" etc) when the number exceeds 32,768.
    Because the database was so large, DbFixIt was not able to perform properly and I was getting a message "Database Error Found. Not enough memory to include checks for Unique IDs. All other tests will be performed" whenever I ran DbFixIt.
    In the end I had to Purge the Calendar but since Palm only allow keeping events in Calendar less than 1 month old, I had to change the system date to about 5 years back, purge, then switch back to present time. (This was done on the computer and the Palm desktop. Because of what I use the Calendar for, I need at least 5 years history in it).
    I then Hotsynced and now I have a Calendar with less than 20,000 events and one that WORKS!! No more crashing, plus DbFixIt also does what it is supposed to do.
    Now at the start of each year I will repeat this process thus keeping just 5 years on the Calendar - that should keep the number of records way below that magic number.
    I hope this will help others in the future.
    Thanks.

6. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

An interesting situation, to be sure. But the main thing is: You got it fixed!

Congrats!

Joe

7. Scott_L

Scott_L Palm til it's gone!

That is one LARGE calendar archive! I keep mine very lean - much leaner than I need to. I purge most events monthly, but I do it manually as to keep what is worth keeping. Still, I don't think I could have that many records if I kept every entry since my first Palm (Pilot 1000) in 1996!

8. SLG

SLG Newbie

Had the same problem and it took last evening to find DbFitIt, which sort of worked but then gave a lot of error messages and the T3 kept crashing even after repeated scans. I found your post this evening and did what you did and everything is back to normal!!!
    Thank you so much for taking the time to share information you got from from Pimlico.
    I only wish the new Smartphones had calenders as good as the T3. I really hate to retire it, but it looks like it is getting to the end of the line. Have you thought about what you are going to use next? Have you migrated to another platform yet?

SLG

9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Welcome to Brighthand, SLG. :)

The OP hasn't been here since 12/30/2009 so it's anyone's guess what happened next.

Glad to hear that DbFixIt worked well for you. :) Many of us have used it at one time or another for a variety of Palm devices.

10. Scott_L

Scott_L Palm til it's gone!

Since I don't HotSync very often anymore I use DbFixit every couple of days to remove Calendar Blobs. I also run an Easy Check scan while I'm there. I've found that this helps with synch problems with GooSync on occasion as well.

DbFixit is one of the top 3 Saved-my-butt-countless-times tools for the POS platform in my book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.