T3 as digital voice recorder

Discussion in 'Tungsten T series' started by DLDavis, Jun 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLDavis

DLDavis Mobile Enthusiast

I'm researching digital voice recording to record long workshops...
    6 to 8 hours. Questions:

1. Can the T3 be used for this?

A. Would the auto-off kick in and turn it off?
    B. If the auto off doesn't turn it off..how long would the
    battery last?
    C. If battery life is the limiting factor...can I get that
    power sled thing to keep it going?
    D. Can I save the files to disk?

2. If T3 is not the optimum device for this purpose...and digital voice recorders are....

A. Where can I get info on which voice recorder to buy..and
    what to look for in such a gadget?

B. I looked at a digital voice recorder at a store 2 weeks ago, and noted that it said on the back panel that the device had x number of "folders". Would this limit the amount of recording you could do at any one time...or can you just set the thing and let it run for hours?
  2. stuartguthrieuk

stuartguthrieuk Enjoy life and smile!

The T3 certainly can do all that you're wanting it to do, however, I don't know whether or not it's possible to save the audio files to a disc since I've never done it. You could also consider buying a portable power adaptor instead of a battery pack if you sit close to a power point.

Have you considered purchasing an iPod with the optional Belkin Voice Recorder? This would be a better option since the iPod has more storage space to hold more hours of sound and has better sync. software that will allow you to burn CDs of your lectures. You'll need a really large SD card for your Palm to hold 8 hours worth of lectures which could work out to be quite expensive.

Stu :)
  3. Convert2

Convert2 Mobile Deity

Check out this thread for more info.

Based on the voice memo application that comes with the Tungsten, 4.3 minutes takes about 1Mb of space on an SD card - so you could get about 17 hours on a 256 Mb card. The files are recorded in WAV format, so you could transfer the files to your computer using a card reader and burn then to disk as you like. With a PowerToGo sled attached you should be able to get about 7-8 hours of battery life.

You should also check out Audacity DVR for extra voice recorder functionality.
  4. DLDavis

DLDavis Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. It would appear from your post that there is no need for me to buy a digital voice recorder if a similar investment in a 256meg card would net me 17 hours! I'll have to check out this powersled thing..or, perhaps sit close to an electrical outlet. Will the Palm automatically turn itself off during the recording if there is no activity on my part?
    ================

5. Convert2

Convert2 Mobile Deity

Once you start recording with the onscreen commands (i.e. not using the voice memo button on the side of the T3 which you have to hold down) it will continue to record until you stop it, or the battery runs dead. While it is recording, the screen will auto-off per the time you have selected in the Prefs, but this will not affect the recording. While the T3 is recording and the screen is off, the green indicator life on the upper left will flash to let you know it is still recording.

You can currently get a Power To Go sled at Amazon for $37.71 with free shipping - this is a great price.