T-Mobile vs. Verizon?

Discussion in 'T-Mobile' started by Spence_Tricky, May 22, 2012.

1. Spence_Tricky

Spence_Tricky Mobile Enthusiast

I was wondering if anyone knew how and why Verizon can charge so much more for its plans than T-Mobile. In the past, it seemed fairly reasonable, as Verizon's network was much stronger and more reliable than T-Mobile's. However, T-Mobile appears to have made up for lost ground with its 4G. Anyone have any ideas on this? I'm debating whether to stick to Verizon or switch over to T-Mobile - if the quality of service doesn't offset the price disparity, I'm probably going over to T-Mobile.

2. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

It depends on how you define "quality of service." T-Mobile has good 4G, but it still has vastly, vastly less coverage than Verizon. Once you go outside of urban or suburban centers with T-Mobile, you're likely to be either roaming or lacking service entirely. Verizon also has a vastly larger 3G footprint--case in point, I have Verizon 3G at my home, which is ~20 miles or more from any kind of T-Mobile coverage. If the coverage map works for you, the smaller carriers like T-Mobile and Sprint are good deals, but they do have strong limitations.

3. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

TMobile has the strongest signal in the areas I roam about. Verizon is much weaker -- they didn't get into my market until very, very recently, and they did it by acquisition rather than building their own local network from scratch. As Adama says, there is no universal right answer. Local conditions and personal behavior is key to figuring out the best service for you.

Last time I changed services I found a site where people posted some pretty specific information about service strength for whatever carrier they had on a highly localized scale (not just per city, people were posting about how it got weak on one side of a highway or another). I don't remember what it was, but with a little googling you could probably find it or something like it.

4. Spence_Tricky

Spence_Tricky Mobile Enthusiast

Makes sense I suppose. I live in NYC, so I guess T-Mobile's coverage shouldn't be a problem there. Looks like I'll be saying farewell to Verizon then.