T-Mobile offers non-customers a free mobile hotspot, with 30 days/30GB data

Discussion in 'Carrier Discussions' started by jigwashere, Aug 28, 2019.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

scjjtt, Mi An and Hook like this.
  2. jigwashere

I went ahead and signed up. I'm curious to see if I can put a Google Fi data-only SIM card in it.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  3. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

If I were a T-Mobile customer, I don't think I'd be happy with that. Better to reward existing customers with a surprise Data Bonus or something.

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  4. jigwashere

I understand the sentiment -- it seems crazy that companies don't do more to retain customers and reward them for loyalty. In this case, it discriminates against existing T-Mobile customers who might like to add a product. For example, my wife has T-Mobile-for-life data on her cell-enabled iPad. It's only a few MB/month, but it's something. Why wouldn't T-Mobile market something like this to her? Giving her the ability to test a hotspot w/30GB data for a month makes as much sense as reaching out to new customers. And since existing customers can jump through a few simple hoops to take advantage of this, why not just reach out to them directly? In fact, T-Mobile doesn't even want the devices returned to them -- they want you give it to a friend when you're done so they can test out the service. So, why not let existing customers order one?

5. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

They offer 30gb free, then you go to find out you can't even buy 30gb after the trial is up. And the prices are crazy expensive. Hook, bait, sinker...

"The nation’s third biggest carrier currently only offers one standalone mobile hotspot, made by Coolpad. If you decide to buy it, you actually have a variety of mobile hotspot plans to choose from. The cheapest is $10 a month for 2GB of data, and it goes up to 6GB if you pay $25 a month. $40 a month gets you 10GB, $55 a month offers 14GB and $70 a month will give your hotspot access to 18GB. Finally, the most expensive plan gives you 22GB of data for $85 a month."

https://www.androidauthority.com/mobile-hotspot-plans-791297/

Hook, RickAgresta, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  6. jigwashere

Yeah....T-Mobile doesn't even put the prices on their site. I'm chatting online and they're having trouble getting me that info. That's really bad.

From one page on their site, it looks like once you've used up your high speed allotment, you get unlimited 3G. Woopie!
    https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-36974

Mi An, Hook, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  7. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

May well be a long shot, but it sounds like it might be possible: https://www.reddit.com/r/ProjectFi/comments/apnobh/tmobile_coolpad_surf/ Though that one wasn't free.

The person who reported success did not put the tmo sim in at all. Not that I'm encouraging the practice. Carriers are supposed to rip people off, not vice versa. If you do it backwards, things get all dizzy.

lelisa13p, Hook, RickAgresta and 3 others like this.
  8. jigwashere

As long as it doesn't require any thought or effort, I have no problem being a criminal. Come to think of it, I said something similar in my job interview. I wonder if they thought I was kidding. ;)

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, Hook, RickAgresta and 3 others like this.
  9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Ah, more OoCQ material! Thanks, guys! :newpalm:

10. jigwashere

My Test Drive arrived today. I fired it up and connected my Chromebook. Speedtests vary between 12 and 40 Mbps down and 6-12Mbps up. My Google Fi sim does work, possibly because one of the networks it uses is T-Mobile.

• The firmware is solidly T-Mobile. 2.4Ghz is enabled; 5Ghz disabled. It looks like I can enable 5Ghz, but it'll disable the 2.4Ghz channel.
    • WPS can either be PIN or PBC (push button). It doesn't look like you can disable it. It's defaulted to PIN, but no PIN code is entered.
    • Network type is set to 3G/LTE and cannot be changed.
    • APN has a few profiles. It's defaulted to T-Mobile US and there are 3 B2B profiles. I tried to add a Google Fi profile and set the APN to h2g2, but it seemed to lock up the device so I factory reset it. I'll play with it a bit more, but given it seems to work with the Google Fi sim w/o changing that, maybe I won't worry about it.
    • There are other, typical router settings that all look configurable (except, maybe, DNS settings).
    • Interestingly, there's a tab for SMS, but when I tried to send a text, it was blocked.