T-Mobile Getting $1 Billion Worth of Spectrum from AT&T Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  2. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

This is good news but won't do me any good in the short run if it requires me to buy a new device to access it.

Regarding the chunk of cash which they also got from ATT, I continue to hope that their network modernization plans include geographic expansion as well.

3. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

LS, by the time T-Mobile gets this service widely available, it will probably be time for you to get a new phone anyway.

For example, Verizon introduced its LTE service in 2010, but unless you were lucky enough to live in one of the scattering of cities with 4G coverage, it did you no good. Only in recent weeks has coverage become broad enough that I consider it a mainstream service.

AT&T is still in the early stages of rolling out its LTE service, which debuted last fall.

T-Mobile is going to start offering LTE in 2013. Based on its rivals' experiences, it probably won't be really widespread until 2014.
    -

4. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

I'd be happy if T-Mobile would give us 3G here in Monroe, MI. We're still stuck on EDGE.

5. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Which doesn't give me much confidence about going to LTE here, either. Taking in mind what Ed is saying, I'm reminded that although i get Tmo's "4G" in town, out here at home, a mere six miles from the nearest town, EDGE is all I have still. This is especially frustrating since there is a Tmo tower maybe 2 miles from this house.

No, I suspect that by the time Tmo gets its 4G up and running within its present coverage area, everybody else will have jumped another "G."

Geographic expansion is just a pipe dream.