T|E/E2 - After Making Repair - Leftover Extra Piece

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Johnny690, Sep 26, 2006.

1. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

As if Shawn was waiting for the cue ... :D

2. jcdeligne

jcdeligne Mobile Enthusiast

Well, thanks a lot.

The thing is I live in Belgium and that might be a little far away to send it to you.

But, by the way. As the switcher part of my palm is broken, would you know what this part is called or how i could get a new one ?

I'm a student engineer and I could get help from someone at the electronic dep. to fix this new switcher if I could get a new one

I thought that might be a solution. :newpalm:

What do you think?

Thanks

if needed, I can send a picture of the electronic device.

3. jcdeligne

Wait a minute.

sorry holvoetn,

I did'nt see you were from Belgium too.

4. jcdeligne

Now I've cheked these repair websites. I'm just wandering how much all this is gonna cost?

I mean, sending my palm to the states and back. Would'nt that be more expensive thant buying a palm from ebay? Maybe not ? just wandering.

5. holvoetn

If you are located in Europe, best way might indeed be to buy a motherboard of Ebay. You can also look for a device with a broken screen or so, as long as the motherboard is still operational, but then again, with a broken screen that is difficult to assess.

Could you post a picture just to be sure it is a total-loss ?

BTW I live between Hasselt and Tongeren. And you ?

6. jcdeligne

Thanks for the help.
    I found something on ebay. Let's wait and see.

BTW I live in Liège.

7. jcdeligne

here's a picture of the main board's corner

1.jpg

8. holvoetn

Looks like the solder islands are not completely ripped off from the main board, so it might still be repairable the normal way ... but maybe the experts will counter me on that (it has been a while since I last had a solder iron in my hands).
    I also think I see the joints were not made correctly the last time (they do not look shiny enough, brittle, hence why they broke loose ?)

What is that blob on the right ? Is that the power switch ? It surely needs some cleaning :rolleyes:

9. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Hello jcdeligne
    I agree with H that the damage seems fixable. But you need a solder iron with a long, thin tip to be able to properly solder those small points. When I need to do such small soldering, I get some length of thin solid copper wire (one filament from UTP CAT5 network cable is great for this) and wrap several turns tightly around the iron tip, then leave a straight segment of about 2 cm extending from the tip. Then melt some solder to cover the tip and wire turns. This way enough heat will be transfered to the copper wire and you can solder with it. (Credit for this tip goes to the great Junglemike). Since most of the heat is lost in the iron tip, you may need a higher wattage iron to ensure that the wire is hot enough. My 15W iron usually can't heat the wire enough, but my 25W iron usually works like a charm.

And yes, you need to clean the power switch and remove that solder. Maybe the solder is shorting the switch's contacts? Did you test it with a multimeter?

10. shawnlux

shawnlux Used PDA Parts Rep.

Use an aligator clip to hold the powerbutton in place when you solder it. Also if you have a helping hands it helps keep your hands free while you solder.