T|E/E2 - After Making Repair - Leftover Extra Piece

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Johnny690, Sep 26, 2006.

1. doogie

doogie Dog-Eat-Dog World Citizen

Hey everyone

I just took my TE2 apart (battery replacement, finally got it from Hong Kong!) and put it back together, then discovered I lost this same piece. (It actually somehow fell down in my shirt, which is where I found it! :)) Wow, it is REALLY tiny! I remembered reading about this mysterious little part in the past, though it took some real dedicated searching to figure out where exactly this thread was. I'm relieved that I was successful!

I actually found this thread through another more recent thread.

I'd like to suggest to the mods that this thread get "stickied" and re-name it something to the effect of, "What is that tiny piece that was left over after I took my Tungsten E/E2 apart and where does it belong?" I think it would be helpful for others.

2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I agree with you, and tweaked the thread title & stickied it. I believe that as time passes and more & more T|E units begin to need the same type of repair that this thread speaks to, there will be more users searching for this same info. I spent some time looking for this a while ago for another member.

Now it should be easier for members to locate this helpful info. :)

3. doogie

doogie Dog-Eat-Dog World Citizen

Thanks, lelisa13p!

4. Haisook

Haisook Med Student

Hmm... are you sure your E wasn't abducted by some martian folks and had been injected with that piece which emits electromagnetic waves back to their base on Mars, acting as a signal transmitter..? :eek:

5. geetee

geetee Newbie

I'm pretty sure it's a spring that keeps the back firm when it's screwed back on by providing counterpressure. There's one up by the headphone jack and there's one near the battery, it sits in some hole in the green board and pokes out. Reinstall it by copying the other one. If everything is working fine tho, I wouldn't bother, just watch out that the 4 screws in the back don't work loose.
    Cheers.

6. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Welcome to Brighthand, geetee. :)

7. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Welcome to Brighthand, Geetee :)

8. jcdeligne

jcdeligne Mobile Enthusiast

Hello,

I've got a problem.
    I've been using my palm tungsten for two years now without any problems. 2 monts ago the power button would'nt work anymore. I opened the palm and found out that the power switch was moving. So I got it resoldered and it worked fine again. Now last week I got again the same problem but this time the switcher was completely desoldered. I tried to solder it again but it won't work. When I reset the palm. It starts as if it was booting for the firts time asking me to tap the corners of the sreen and one second later. It goes off.

Do you think the switcher is out ? in this case, is it possible to get another one somewhere? Or if it is still OK, how to solder it correctly ?

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Hope to hear from you soon.

9. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Hello jcdeligne, welcome to BrightHand :D:D:D

I think you have past the point where you can thinker with this yourself and professional assistance is needed. From what you post I conclude the solder pads have come loose from the Printed Circuit Board and there is no way you can repair that without dedicated equipment (at least not reliably).

Checkout Chris Short, he runs a repair shop at Ebay or alternatively go to www.usedpdaparts.com, represented by our own member shawnlux.
    Both have fair prices and good reviews.

10. shawnlux

shawnlux Used PDA Parts Rep.

We can also take a look at your Tungsten for repair.