T|E/E2 - After Making Repair - Leftover Extra Piece

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Johnny690, Sep 26, 2006.

1. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

You might be right.
    As far as I can recall the power button on a TE is not round.

2. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Looking at the first picture, it seems the bent right-most flange is designed to hold something in place once it is inserted through the openining. That's why I thought headphone jack. :)

3. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

C'mon you guys - stop messing around. It's obviously a ruler.

<Streaky has a closer look.>

Aha! I go with the inside of the headphone jack as well.

4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Hello Johnny690.
    I think Nine is correct. Check this image of the TE's mainboard. You will see a very similar piece at the bottom of the headphone socket. Not exactly identical, but similar enough to make me think it's the same.

I have taken apart several TE's in the past, and I don't recall seeing that little piece. This makes me think that probably both your TE's had broken headphone sockets, which I think is a common problem with the TE.

5. rbeef

rbeef Roast Beef

That might be a piece that's underneath the plastic bit of the power button. I'm not exactly sure but I did have a bear of a time getting it all to hold together while I reassembled my T|E the last time I had it apart. I don't think it's the earphone jack, though it could be. If it's working, don't worry about it however some parts are there to reduce the wear and tear of normal use. It's almost as if that part is a guide or something.

Wait.... There's what appears to be a shiny edge which to me doesn't look 100% straight. Could this have broken off something? It's hard to tell from the photos. Then again, it may have been stamped out at the factory so, it's really hard to say.

If I have to take one of my T|E's apart again, I'll be sure to look for it.

6. Johnny690

Johnny690 Metal Medic

Many thanks to all for the inspiration to persevere. Special thanks to Chris Short of ITSNOTHERE (mentioned in several other threads in this forum and seen in eBay). He was able to tell me it is for shielding the front of the frame, it goes between the plastic mid-frame and the metalized plastic front frame - The curled side rides against the outside edge of the screen when it's inserted. The flat ears are placed on the post toward the front frame.

Now, if I could only figure out where that ruler goes . . . .

Hope the pictures below may help that less fortunate one in the future.

JR

Attached Files:

7. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Clever bunny. See? Told 'em I was wrong. :)

8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Cool. Never saw that little piece when I opened the E. Thanks for sharing the info, Johnny690.

9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

So did you take the patient apart again just to replace the missing piece? Or save it for the next time? ;)

10. Johnny690

Johnny690 Metal Medic

I took it apart again. If I had a drawer of extra parts like Streaky I'd go nuts. The engineer in me knew there just HAD to be a place where it belonged and that it HAD to serve SOME purpose.

The pictures of the part are actuals of my T|E with the part where it belongs. There is one of them on each of the two top posts - the trouble with trying to figure it out my own was that when you take just the back off the pieces are fairly well hidden under the mid-frame.

The first time I took it apart the mid-frame separated from the front at the same time as the back came off. That's when the piece fell out.