T|E/E2 - After Making Repair - Leftover Extra Piece

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Johnny690, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Johnny690

Johnny690 Metal Medic

Has anyone who's taken their T|E apart found a small metal piece fall out?

If so - where does it go?

The part is U-shape, about 1/8" x 1/8" with a hole in the center and two small metal ears.

I seem to have noticed, that of all the people who've taken theirs apart, no one else mentioned it. I've had the pleasure of taking two of them apart now.

After it fell out of the first one, I opened my for-parts-only one and I had it fall out of that one before I could figure out where it was supposed to go.

I haven't found anyone posting a picture of a Tungsten E's insides - so that didn't help either.

2. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Welcome to BrightHand :D:D:D

Have you checked pdaparts.com ? They have pretty detailed instructions how to open your device...

3. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Welcome to Brighthand, Johnny690. Has it stopped your PDA functioning in any way? :)

4. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

Welcome to Brighthand, Johnny690. That's a pretty regular occurrence for me whenever I take anything apart. :) I have a whole drawer full of such parts. Nothing seems any the worse for it, though.

5. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Although Mrs. Streaky now walks with a limp, has an ear missing and can't tell green from yellow... :)

6. Johnny690

Johnny690 Metal Medic

Thanks all !

I have checked pdaparts.com - they don't have a tear down for the Tungsten E and the battery replacement doesn't get into that much detail.

No function loss that I'm aware of.

I just have two extra parts - one for each of my T|E's.

I guess the good news is that I was able to re-solder the power button connectors so that it now works.

Still looking . . . .

7. rbeef

rbeef Roast Beef

When I took my second T|E apart to clean the speaker contacts, I didn't get it right the first time, so I had to clean them again. That second time I took it apart, the 5-way button no longer worked in the down direction. So, I took it apart again to align the 5-way button. During that time the power button fell out. I do not recall a little metal piece, it was a plastic piece that fitted on top of the actual switch on the motherboard.

The trick to putting the T|E back together is to make sure all the buttons are aligned then gently replace the two halves without disturbing the alignment or you may find yourself repeating the job to get it right.

How about posting a photo of the extra metal piece?

8. Johnny690

Johnny690 Metal Medic

Thanks Cy,

Will see if I can get a picture later today.

John

9. Johnny690

Johnny690 Metal Medic

Maybe these pictures in the attachments will help to identify it.

Attached Files:

10. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Hmm. Something about the size is making me think headphone jack socket area but I could easily be wrong. :)