T|C Keyboard Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Shawn Parr, Aug 21, 2003.

1. makeijan

makeijan Newbie

Well, that's my first post.

I've recently bought a couple of T|C (one's for my wife), and found this forums, that seems great.

This may help the ones looking for easter eggs.
    http://www.zansstuff.com/palmegg.html

By the way, Ms. Publisher files have *.pub extension.

2. dnorton50

dnorton50 Mobile Consultant

Ok, I have a Tungsten C and I just can seem to figure out how to get the Easter Egg. I get nothing when I try it. Waaaaaaaa!

3. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Hi Makeijan. Welcome to Brighthand.

Spot on! I've got an egg. Now what?

Dnorton5, I had to turn on "write anywhere on-screen" in Writing Area of Preferences because I don't use Graffiti. The go to the link provided by Makeijan above, and try 'The Easter Egg'. Try drawing the circle a few times.

When I finally got the egg I was happy. Now what. I tap the egg and it disappears. It that it?

4. tapf!

tapf! Mobile Consultant

I didn't read the last 4 pages, but my tip is to swap the Command and Menu.

Fabian

5. Deej

Deej Mobile Evangelist

I have a question... Is there an onscreen shortcut, graffitti action or other way to use the stylus and do the action of hitting the home button (such as the applications button on Graffitti 1 silkscreen area)?

I've sorta searched around and can't find a tip for doing that, and it's slightly annoying that I can do pretty much everything except "exit" an app with the stylus.

Anyone got a tip for me? ;)

Deej

6. n_hughes

n_hughes Mobile Enthusiast

The Okey utility should be able to help you out here. Also apparently pressing function and either return or backspace performs the functions of OK and cancel (respectively).

7. n_hughes

I am finding that my T|C keyboard seems to to more often been typing multiple characters for a single press. Has anybody got any ideas of how to fix this?

8. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

A hard reset will probably work. Hotsync or backup first though.

I had the same problem before and ended up exchanging the unit, thinking it was a hardware fault. Just last week, I had a problem with my J key not working; and that wasn't too much if a problem because J isn't used too much in English. Then, all of a sudden, J worked again but B wouldn't. My surname starts with B, so that was a problem, or should I say "prolem" :) . I did a hard reset and it is all working again now.

I wonder if it was as a result of installing some software. I had installed a couple of things including Watchmaker. I have since uninstalled this.

I suggest that you hard reset, then test the keyboard before restoring your data. If it works after the hard rest and before the restore, but doesn't work after the restore, then it must be an application that's causing the problem.

Let us know how you get on.

CEB.

9. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

What are your settings under Prefs, Keyboard? If you have the "Press and Hold Key" feature set to "Repeats Character", make sure the key repeat rate is set at a slower setting.

I would advise setting the above setting to "Capitalizes Character" instead of "Repeat Character" anyway, but you may have different reasons/preferences.

10. n_hughes

I'm pretty sure the repeating characters is a hardware problem and I just need to pull apart the device and clean the keyboard. I have been hard resetting the device mulitple times (for other software reasons) and there was been no change. I hoped also changing the key repeat rate to the slowest would eliminate the problem but it hasn't had any effect. As I said I think it is a hardware problem related to the keyboard buttons not making a perfect contact to the keyboard pcb so that rather than the current changing from one state to another bouncing between the two states (of the key being pressed or not) before settling at one. This would effectively look like a multiple key bounce. I have seen a link to a web site that detailed the intracacies of pulling apart a T-C but can't remember where it is. Does anybody know? (My T-C warranty has long expired.)