T|C Keyboard Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Shawn Parr, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Shawn Parr

Shawn Parr Mobile Deity

I mentioned some of these in other threads, and was asked to keep them coming. As such here is a thread on how to more effectively use the Keyboard on your T|C, and have to use the stylus less often.

Some of these are pretty basic, and some are obscure, let me know if you find any others.

For all of the below I refer to the blue button as the Fn button

• Any letter can be capitalized by hitting and holding the letter
    • If you are doing something that has an OK, or Done button, hitting the middle button on the 5 way navigator will activate that button
    • Holding Fn while hitting the return key will also do an OK or Done, as well as select yes in certain dialogs
    • Holding Fn while hitting backspace will cancel a dialog (or select no)
    • Holding Fn while using up/down/left/right on the 5 way navigator lets you move the cursor around (if you are in the address book it is within the current field, and most likely with most other field oriented apps as well)
    • Hitting the center of the 5 way navigator while the unit is off will briefly display the time
    • Holding down the center of the 5 way navigator will take you to your default launcher
    • In Web Browser, if you are entering a URL, hitting return on its own will OK they dialog
    • If there are characters not on the keyboard that you use often, create a shortcut for them (thanks to Kornhill for this suggestion)
    • Trying to get the inchworm Easter Egg, but don't have a Graffiti area to draw the #, and can't get it via Write Anywhere either? Just use the keyboard (Fn - V), and wait about 10 seconds, he is slow to appear, but due to the X-Scale he is pretty fast moving across the screen! [ADDED - 10/1/03]

Some 3rd party Application keyboard support

Okey:

I will also include a brief tutorial for Okey, since it extremely useful, and not well documented in English.

Most apps have a number of graphical elements (called widgets) that let you do things. Typically on the Palm you would use a stylus for these. Some examples are drop down lists, check boxes, the left and right arrows on top of the Datebook, and buttons.

With Okey installed and activated you can do the following:

Hit and hold the center of the 5 way navigator, just before you are taken to the launcher you will see the top - left most widget highlight. If you release the button you will be able to use the widgets. If you continue holding the button you will go to the launcher like usual.

UPDATE 10/1/03: Joe_Momma informed us that holding the Fn Key and tapping the center of the 5-way Nav will activate Okey without having to time holding down the key.

Once a widget is hightlighted:
    • Up/Down scrolls through all the available widgets, highlighting one at a time.
    • The center nav button activates that widget. If it is a button, it gets pressed, if it is a drop down list, it is opened and you can scroll through it with the 5 way navigator, and use the center button to select.
    To really understand Okey you have to use it. It is available for free at Palmgear.

Datebk5: (all of these are from the manual - no secrets here).

In the day view up/down will scroll through scheduled appointments. When one is highlighted the center button of the 5 way Navigator toggles the details dialog, and the attached notes (if there are any).

Double clicking on the center of the 5 way navigator switches views.

In the 4 month, and whole year view, up and down scrolls through the days of the year. (I still haven't found a way to open those days without tapping the screen though).

2. ianjd

ianjd Mobile Deity

I find Okey seems to stop me from using the centre button to select menu items if running at the same time as Graffiti Anywhere, which is a little frustrating; albeit moreso on the TT.

3. Shawn Parr

Shawn Parr Mobile Deity

I don't seem to have that issue with the T|C, although it has a built in Write Anywhere function as part of Graffiti 2. As such I do not have Graffiti Anywhere installed.

I would think that the Zire71 and the T2 would also be immune as they also have G2. Although if anyone has had different experience please let me know!

4. GOG

GOG Mobile Enthusiast

How in the sam hill do i type a "="

5. Shawn Parr

Shawn Parr Mobile Deity

Whether on sam hill or not I haven't seen a way to do it directly from the keyboard. The quickest way to do it is Fn - Space and tap the equals. This also applies for < and > for those of us dealing with HTML every once in a while.

You could of course remap it. For instance if you never use the *, you could remap that to =. Or if you are superstitious you could remap 3 to = to make sure you never accidentally type 13 . . . :D

In case you haven't found it, in prefs, go to keyboard, then hit the remap button.

6. kornhill

kornhill Mobile Enthusiast

It work for me to create short cuts
    such that
    eq as =
    lt as <
    gt as >

7. Shawn Parr

Shawn Parr Mobile Deity

Excellent suggestion! I never even thought to try that. It works great.

8. GOG

GOG Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks!

9. T|C Addict

T|C Addict Mobile Enthusiast

How about less than or equals to? Or > greater than or equals to? Impossible on a Palm it seems...

10. GOG

GOG Mobile Enthusiast

How great would it be to be able to code php on my palm...upload to the server to test it.

*dreams*