Syncing Palm data with my new smartphone

Discussion in 'Palm General' started by Past_Palm, May 10, 2012.

1. Past_Palm

Past_Palm Newbie

I had a very difficult time finding information about this when I first switched over from my Palm T|X to my new smartphone. So, since I finally found a program that worked, I thought I’d share …

I was a long-time (since 1994) Palm user and couldn't face making the switch to a smartphone. I researched like crazy until I found this app called B-Folders. I was able to just *import* all of my Contacts (it even put stuff into the right fields!) and my Memos (over 1,200) from Palm desktop (no re-keying).

Their nested folder system works just like Palm's categories (only you can have an unlimited number of them and can combine Contacts, Memos, and Passwords all the in the same folder if you want). It's more versatile than Palm (it has this feature of "customizable cards" to keep all sorts of stuff).

I had been using an encrypted password program in addition to Palm before - now it's all in this B-Folders program which even auto-fills your passwords into the login pages you've stored.

I was really glad to find this. And it's all "off the cloud" secure, just like Palm. And easy backups provide a great sense of security - especially when I’ve never had to use them!
    :cool:

2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Welcome to Brighthand, Past_Palm. :)

Your post reads very much like an advertisement, prompting me to inquire whether you are affiliated with this product. You make no mention al all of what smartphone you decided to purchase.

Please address this impression so that members may know if this is your product or if you are just an enthusiastic user.

3. Past_Palm

Past_Palm Newbie

Well, I'm kind of a natural salesperson, I guess. :) My new smartphone is an HTC Droid Incredible (1.5 years old now). What began my research into migrating from Palm was when my daughter first told me that Graffiti was going to be available for Android phones. With Palm, I'd gone from Pilot > M500 > Tungsten E > E2 > T|X. Even though I had a Mac (running Mac OSX Snow Leopard), I really wanted Graffiti since I knew it so well.

That prompted my looking for something that could contain all my contacts and memos - and I looked at LOTS of them. And I visited lots of forums searching for a reasonable solution. I thought I’d found what I needed with “Missing Sync for Palm” but was sorely disappointed. It only wasted my time and corrupted a lot of data (without backups, I would have been destroyed).

Since I had so much difficulty finding something that worked, when I discovered B-Folders, I wrote reviews right away on Amazon and Android Market. Since I was using a Mac (kind of unusual to not have an iPhone), I must have attracted the attention of the Bulgarians who developed B-Folders. They invited me to join their Beta Group - to just preview beta versions and provide feedback on how stuff worked on my setup. Most of the other members are engineers or businessmen - I’m a homemaker, actually a “retired” homeschooler! My only intent was to help other long-time Palm users with another option to try out that might work for them. :)

4. lelisa13p

Thanks for your clarification and the reasoning behind your post. :) We are generally a helpful bunch and it seems that you're from the same mold. Good on you for posting the info!

5. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Newbie

Hi Past_Palm,

I'm writing about your post "Syncing Palm data with my new smartphone".
    I am also homemaker-actually a retired realtor. I have had a lot of friends who home schooled their kids.

I am not technically knowledgeable. I have used a T3 Palm since about '04. Because of my lack of tech knowledge it has been very difficult for me to even be able to learn how to use my T3-which I am still using. Most of what I learned came from Brighthand & the goodhearted folks here.

Since almost all those who used a Palm have switched to a Smartphone & the lack of support for T3's & the programs that work on them, I've considered doing the same. I thought of getting an IPhone. I tried asking the folks at the Apple store but they said there is no way to transfer the Palm data into an IPhone. I too have a lot of Contacts & at least as many Memo's as you do. I really don't want to lose them. I use it mostly for organization since I retired. But my whole life is in that T3. I would be lost w/o it.

I see you are using a Droid phone & from what I've heard they are difficult to use for a non-techy person like me.

My question to you is-do you think a non techy person like me would be able to use the program you used to transfer my Palm data to an IPhone? Or is it a program that works only on a non-Apple phone. I've been told that an IPhone is simpler to use. That's why I was asking if it would work on an IPhone.

I would be eternally grateful for any help/advice you can give me. And thanks for being willing to help the people who are on BH with your post.

Blessings to you.

6. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I think someone mentioned b-folders at least once before. It does sound good. Still, I can see how those two posts caused a little antennae-twitching.

7. lelisa13p

Rubyrose, I went thru this in 2009 when I got an iPhone. There is no program that will directly transfer Palm Data to an iPhone. Some users have had some success when they've already been using Google Calendar for appointments. There is a really long thread discussing this in the Apple forum. It wasn't ultimately helpful to me because I don't use Google Calendar and don't keep my appointments in any cloud-based utility.

Some former Palm users here are using Pimlical (from the developer of DateBk 4/5/6) on Android smartphones because it has the ability to sync Palm-like data. One of them will have to talk about that because I don't know the details.

I'm still using my TX for my primary Calendar and iPhone for everything else. I had to enter all of my Contacts manually to the iPhone. Now that I'm on my 3rd iPhone, my Contacts have transferred every time I upgraded to a new iPhone.

I wish there was an easy way to bring Palm data over but Palm's just a dinosaur these days, no matter how much we love it. :(

8. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Newbie

Hi Lelisa13p,

Thanks for answering me. I'm really stymied over this. A few months ago I finally gave up & decided to just keep using my T3. I had replaced my original one with an Ebay purchase of another T3. I can't remember why but I had to contact the developer of BUM to be able to put it on the newer T3. It took many emails back & forth but it finally worked. Then a few months later I saw that he discontinued that program. There are almost no companies supporting their software & so many other things you can't do with it that people who use smartphones can.

I don't know what to do. I have so many contacts that I couldn't think of putting them in by hand. Also I have probably 1200 memos maybe more. Those are things I really rely on. There is no way to transfer them right? That is just too much typing for me. I am a lousy typist & I'm constantly having to go back to correct typos.

You are very tech knowledgeable...did you consider a Droid phone? If you think it was too hard I know I couldn't do it. It sounds like the program she talked about made the transition easier than with an IPhone.

I wish I could find someone who could teach me how to do tech things. When I was working I took a lot of classes but they never taught us why or when you shouold do something. It was merely click on this, do that etc. I really never learned anything of substance about why I should do or not do something despite spending lots of money on these classes.
    I just don't know what to do. I wish there was some kind of easy answer. I'm lost in an untechy abyss.

Thanks again for being you......patient & always willing to help us non techies. You & the other BHer's are a gift to us.

Bless you,

9. lelisa13p

You are very kind. :)

I never considered an Android device because at the time that I was ready to move on to a smartphone, I'd already been using an iPod Touch for almost a year and I was familiar with the mechanics of operating an Apple device and I really enjoyed the experience. Many of the former Palm users here also moved on to Android and seem to be as happy with their choices as I am with mine.

There is no easy way to migrate to a new platform; some just involve less tedious work than others. In the way that I keep my Palm TXs for the ability to continue using DateBk6, you may want to continue keeping your Memos and Contacts on your Palm device while you investigate which type of smartphone you'd like to use, if you decide to continue in that direction. There are a lot of threads in the Android forum that detail the experiences of users who moved to those devices and likewise for users in the Apple forum. It's a hard decision, no doubt, but at this point you don't have any previous investment that would influence your choice so you can look at a variety of options. I suggest that you talk to friends & family who use different smartphones and actually use their devices to get a feel for how they operate. Using a smartphone is a very tactile experience and although making phone calls is the main function, there are a lot of other features that users benefit from.

I wish I had more to offer but it's really a hands-on personal decision that comes down to your preferences. It also depends on who your cellphone carrier is and what devices they support/sell. :)

If I think of anything more that might be helpful to you, I'll post it here. I do admire your tenacity. :newpalm:

10. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Newbie

Hi Lelisa,

You mentioned the Android & Apple forums. Are they on BH or separate forums? You can tell how untechy I am. Thanks so much!