"Synchronization cannot be completed successfully."

Discussion in 'Windows Phone' started by imported_Ghost, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imported_Ghost

imported_Ghost Newbie

I'm experiencing a very frustrating sync problem with my Toshiba e570 running PPC 2002. I doubt it?s unique to the Toshiba, however, because I have seen the same problem described on another board by at least two others with different devices ? one an iPAQ 3765, the other a Cassiopeia EM-500 (no solution to the problem has been posted on the other board). I sync my e570 to my desktop PCs at both work and at home. I have been doing this without incident for over a month, but I have recently received this message on both PCs every time I attempt to sync:

"Synchronization cannot be completed successfully. Disconnect your device and try again. If the problem persists, see the Microsoft ActiveSync Troubleshooter in Microsoft ActiveSync Help on your desktop computer."

I have WinXP on both machines, and have installed every XP update. At first I thought this might be the issue, until one of the other two people said he was running PPC (not 2002) with Windows 2000 on one machine, and Windows 98 2nd Ed. on the other.

As I?m sure many of you have noticed, there is no functional ?ActiveSync Troubleshooter,? so that was a useless avenue. I've uninstalled and reinstalled ActiveSync on each machine (including removing registry entries according to MS instructions), and I am still unable to sync on either. I've tried re-establishing partnerships using only one partnership and even renamed by device and still no luck. I called Toshiba tech support who spent a great deal of time with me to no good result (very helpful and cordial, by the way, just unable to solve this problem). Any advice is certainly appreciated. Thanks.

2. OlManRivah

OlManRivah Wise Ol' Member

The problem seems to point to your PDA. Possibly a corrupted file on the PDA. I think a Hard Reset may be needed. Don't use your backup file because if it is a corrupted file, you'll just reload it, possibly.

After performing the Hard Reset, just load the basics. If you do any synching from PDA to Desktop you could have placed the corrupted file on both desktops.

After getting back to the basics, I would see if I can synch with someone elses PC.

This is why I preach for everyone to keep a copy of a known good backup on your Desktop. Just like you always keep a known good copy of your Registry.

Good Luck! :cool:

3. masitti

masitti Mobile Deity

Yes, just like OldManRivah said, it is pretty much pointless to hard reset the PPC, then do a restore ;)

4. Spurv

Spurv Mobile Evangelist

I have the same equipment as you (EM500 playing with a Dell laptop with XP Pro at work, and a desktop with XP Home at home). Now and then I get the familiar "Synchronization cannot be completed successfully... "-message. Time consuming and frustrating stuff.

I have no clear and scientific answer to this problem, 'Ghost', but maybe this helps:

- I softreset the PDA, and make sure the EM500 fits really well into the cradle. Blow ou dust from the contacts too (?). Sometime this is enough

- If this doesn't work, I restart the desktop PC + softreset PDA again. Wait for the PC to complete all startup things before I drop the PDA into the cradle. This normally does it.

- I am also very restictive on what I sync on my home computer. The less, the better, it seems. Lately I have had only AvantGo ticked off, and that seems to stabilize it really well

- Special Win XP problems: I have found out that ActiveSync rejects the PDA if more than one user is logged on, i.e., if my daughter has logged on her profile, and I put the PDA into the cradle, it does not sync anymore. Seems to lock things up, and a restart of the computer is needed. The PDA requires my profile to be active.

Regards,

Spurv

5. baoco

baoco Newbie

I'm having a similar problem connecting to a new Dell 8200 Windows XP with Ipaq 3600 using USB. OS on Ipaq is Windows CE Version 3.0.9348 (serial no. 4G11...). I've tried doing a hard reset (w/o restoring backup), soft reset, blowing connection dust, restarting PC and soft starting Ipaq, using serial and USB. Connection still works on Windows 98 PC.

I've searched the forum and haven't found any solutions that work.

Is an upgrade to Pocket PC 2002 required? Any other suggestions? Thanks,

6. imported_Mich

imported_Mich Mobile Deity

On Friday, I started getting the same error message when I tried to sync my iPAQ H3850 at work (I connect to a laptop running Windows 2000). I came home, tried to sync it with my Dell running XP and got the same message. It would appear there is something wrong with my iPAQ but what? I have done everything but a hard reset. Has anyone loaded any new programs that may have caused our PDA's to freak out? I installed a today screen plug-in, didn't care for it, so I deleted it using the "remove programs" feature. I wonder if it deleted something it wasn?t suppose to?

7. imported_Ghost

imported_Ghost Newbie

OlManRivah's suggestion did the job, and I am grateful. I uninstalled and reinstalled ActiveSync on both desktops (may or may not have helped or been necessary), performed a hard reset on the device, and I am all set syncing to both desktops again. I have only been using the e570 for about a month. I got tired of the expansion sleeves in my iPaq 3670, and I'm very happy with the e570. I had been routinely backing up the iPaq, but had yet to backup the e570. So, I accept OlManRivah's well-placed admonishment about backing up, which I echo here. Back up your last known install on a regular basis, so that if you end up with a corrupted file, you will not have to reinstall and reconfigure the entire device. There are two ways to back up - one is the utility on the device itself, which will backup directly to a compactflash or SD card (or whatever external storage media your device uses), and the other is the backup utility in ActiveSync, which will backup to the desktop. I used both today!

I may never find out which file was corrupted, but I can say that I had recently installed some new programs before the problem began. In searching this and other forums for the "Synchronization cannot be completed successfully" message, I've discovered that the issue is not limited to device, desktop operating system, PPC operating system, or ActiveSync version. The hard reset may not be the only way to resolve the issue, but it is the only one that worked for me, likely because I did have a corrupted file. I read on another forum that someone switched back to using serial rather than USB cradles, and that fixed it for him. I have read that ActiveSync can have problems when used on a desktop with several USB devices connected. My work pc is actually a laptop with one USB port, and the device generally behaves much, much more reliably when connected to that machine, rather than my home desktop with over four USB devices in operation. Hope this helps, and thanks again for your good advice, OlManRivah. Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.