Synching T3 with Windows 7x64 w/o Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by toastysquirrel, Oct 19, 2011.

1. toastysquirrel

toastysquirrel Mobile Consultant

I loved my T3 while running Windows XP. But a few months ago I built a new computer with Windows 7x64 bit. I haven't hot synched since late July !! :eek:

I'm asking for it, right? So I start searching around and have run into all this jazz that the T3 isn't likely to sync via USB with a 7x64 system. I haven't found any definitive solutions and hoped I might find some help or direction here.

My computer doesn't have BlueTooth, so I'm locked into a strictly physical connection between my T3 and Windows 7x64 rig.

What are my options, do I have any?
    Thanks guys!

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

You can buy a BT 'dongle' for very little money, less than $5 USD, iirc, when I bought mine…I don't know if the 64-bit drivers developed by Aceeca (sp?) support the T3 -- a definite yes for the TX. I think there's a sticky in the TX forum.

3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Also, you can explore other installation/backup strategies. You can install programs to the T3 without hotsync, using a program called CardReader or Softick Card Export II. Either allow the T3 to connect to the PC as a mass storage device, meaning the SD card will appear as a drive on your computer. You can then copy the .PRC and .PDB files you want to install to the card, then copy to the T3's RAM with a file manager.

To backup, try any backup to card solution, such as RescoBackup, BackupMan, TealBackup, etc. Any of them will backup the whole contents of the T3's RAM to the SD card. You can then backup the SD card to the computer using CardReader or CardExport II. This way if your T3 loses its memory you can restore from the SD card. Even if the SD card is lost or damaged you can copy the backup to a new card and restore the T3. This should take care of the "asking for it" feeling :)

4. toastysquirrel

I just invested $1.40 in a USB SD card reader so I can at least access that aspect of my T3. So I'll try that method then, like you suggested, copy the various .PRC/PDB files to the T3's RAM. I look a look at CardExport which requires installation on the Palm, which of course I can't do. However if I install the .prc through the USB-SD reader (then to the T3's RAM), will that then allow me to access the SD card while it's inside the T3 (via the T3's USB cable)?

5. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Actually, there are a couple other ways to install programs in the absence of a physical connection between Palm and PC. One is to copy the installation files from the PC to a third device that can connect to the computer, then send these files via IR or BT to the Palm, or copy them with an SD or micro SD card. Yet another method is to download the installation files using a third device that has internet connection (smartphone, tablet, etc.), then send the files over to the Palm. These methods have saved me more than once when I can't connect my Palm to the PC.
    Yes, that's exactly the purpose of the program. In fact some of us don't hotysnc at all. I don't trust hotsync for my backups (but maybe that's stuff for another thread), and I only install programs via the SD card. I don't even have PalmDesktop installed on my computer (my machine is also Win 7x64).

Before you decide to purchase CardExport, be sure to take a look at CardReader. I think it costs less, and from my experience it allows faster card access than CardExport.

6. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

Here are some methods to installing software on to your T3. You can use the card export for free for a week or two. Place the memory card from your T3 in your card reader for your computer. When it opens you should have a folder named Palm in the root menue. Select palm and when it opens you should have several folders. You can drag a program that has a prc file into the launcher folder and when you place the memory card back into your palm it should load that program.
    There is a free program called MyInstall by Pruss. It will emulate a hotsync. You need to load the program prc into the launcher folder so the T3 will install it. You will need to make a new folder called MyInstall in the root menu of your memory card also. When you need to install a new program or file you will place the memory card into the computer and drag the program or file etc. into the MyInstall folder. Once you place the memory card back into the T3 you will click on the MyInstall icon and run it. It will then emulate a hotsync and load the software.
    You can also use the Aceeca 64bit driver with your T3 it will work. The Aceeca 64bit Windows driver works with Palm os4 to os5 Palm device. I use all of the software described here. In addition you should find some kind of backup software for your T3 prior to installing anything else. The Palm hotsync even when working properly does not do a complete backup.
    Remember to look for sales on third party software before purchasing it. MyInstall and the Aceeca 64bit Palm Desktop driver for Windows are free.

Free MyInstall v1.20 Download

64 Bit Palm Desktop Drivers are HERE! - Support Community

Softick Card Export II for Palm OS. SD/MMC card inserted into Palm as USB mass storage drive

7. toastysquirrel

Man, Raspabalsa and Reb1, thanks a ton, all that info and links are extremely helpful! I'll check them out!

I suppose this is a slight deviation from my original topic, but since Reb1 brought it up.... is there any good "free" backup software out there? And if not free, then what would anyone suggest as a good backup app in general?

Thanks again!

8. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

reb1, just out of curiosity, if placing the PRC file in the launcher folder installs the program, why do you need the other stuff? Is that just for apps/programs that don't have a PRC file?