Synching Legacy PIM databases with Palm Desktop V-6.2

Discussion in 'Sync (Windows/Palm OS)' started by cesdewar, Sep 7, 2008.

1. ch_bulldog

ch_bulldog Newbie

This may already been answered by I haven't located the thread.
    I have a Palm III and want to sync to laptop with Vista.
    I've installed Palm Access 6.6.6 and also updated the registry from the following link http://www.PimlicoSoftware.com/palmhotsyncsetup.exe

Unfortunatly I still don't have my addresses imported.
    Have I missed a step?

Thanks for your help.:)

2. tonylex

tonylex Newbie

I have an old Vx (w/DateBk thank you) and a new PC with Vista Home Premium. My problem is trying to sync via a usb cable. I can't get the PC to "see" the Vx via the cable. Will your app help this??

Thanks, Tonylex

3. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

Yes for 32-bit Vista, NO for 64-bit Vista.

4. Dusty_Camel

Dusty_Camel Newbie

I found this PamlicoSoftware workaround indeed to facilitate syncing my Palm Vx with Desktop 6.2 under the Vista OS.

But there were hitches. Ensure that all boxes in the "Applications" listing of the new HotSync 7.0.2 are checked. The Date Book, Address, To Do List, and Memo Pad of mine were not and, consequently, they did did not sync initially until I checked them.

Also, syncing the Address Book to my Palm Vx copied everything correctly except the "Home" addresses, that is, contact entries transferred to the Palm Vx lacked these addresses even though they existed in Desktop 6.2.2. "Work" addresses were OK. Still working on that problem.

Finally, for those used to Palm Desktop 4.1.4, it may be helpful to know that the Palm folder of Desktop 6.2.2 lies under "Documents" rather than as a Palm folder under "Program Files" or as a separate Palm folder on, say, C:\ drive.

5. malifedor

malifedor Newbie

I am new to Brighthand, having just registered today. Your post will hopefully help me. My Zire 31 died (immersed in spilled water). My Palm Desktop V 4.1.4 is fully up to date. I just bought a Palm Centro and am hoping that I can migrate Palm Desktop V 4.1.4 contacts, calendar, Tasks and Notes to Palm Centro using your application along with Palm Desktop 6.2. However, my wife has a Zire 21 in good shape and would like to HotSync to Palm Desktop 4.1.4 as before. Palm Support web site instructs users not to uninstall 4.1.4 but to install 6.2 on top. My current 4.1.4 Palm Desktop has two user profiles, mine and my wife's.

I assume that if I install Palm Desktop 6.2 on top of 4.1.4 as suggested by Palm Support, I will lose 4.1.4.

1. Can I use Palm Desktop 6.2 to HotSync both my Palm Centro and my wife's Zire 21?

2. If the answer to 1. is no, can I reinstall 4.1.4 to live on my PC alongside 6.2? Or would I have to create a new partition on my PC (shudder!) and run 4.1.4 on it?

3. Ideally, I'd like to HotSync my Centro and my wife's Zire 21 to Palm Desktop 6.2. I have not installed anything yet. Palm Centro comes with an installation CD-ROM. Should I use that or dowload 6.2 from Palm Support?

Note: I have a desktop PC running Windows XP and a laptop with Vista 32. Palm Desktop 4.1.4 is installed on both, and I have been HotSyncing my now defunct Palm Zire 31 and my wife's Zire 21 to both machines successfully in the past. I'd like to do the same with my new Palm Centro...

I'll be very grateful for any help from anyone.

malifedor

6. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Welcome to Brighthand, Malifedor. :)

6.2 is on the Centro's CD. If you have Windows XP, you don't need it, just continue to use your old desktop, the Centro should be fine with it. If you have Vista, you will need PD 6.2. The download Cesdewar talks about above will allow your wife's Z21 to sync with PD 6.2.

7. malifedor

malifedor Newbie

Hello Hook,
    Thanks a lot. I'll try that out tomorrow. The reason I hesitated to use my old 4.1.4 Palm Desktop with Centro was that Palm Support article ID: 33529, which lists device compatibility with various versions of Palm Desktop, says that Desktop 6.2 works with Palm Centro et al., whereas Desktop 4.1.4 and 4.1.4e work with Zire 21 and 31 et al.

8. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I know, but that's because the Centro came out contemporary with Vista and the Vista desktop shipped with the Centro. Essentially, they only wanted to officially support one version of the desktop, so they picked the Vista version. The Centro doesn't care-- the nice thing about an OS that hasn't changed much in years. I hotsync my TX with a very old PD version that accomodates my Alphasmart Dana.

9. malifedor

malifedor Newbie

1. Well, I got my Centro phone working. The Palm applications are working too. I tried a Hotsync today on my Windows XP PC. I connected the cable to my PC and started HotSync on my Palm Desktop 4.1.4, then I pressed the button on the cable connector. The HotSync screen appeared on my Centro and I got the usual starting beep. However, nothing happened. HotSync did not ask me for the user profile and it seems to me that must be the reason that data transfer did not start. Based on your impression that my Centro would HotSync with Palm Desktop 4.1.4, I am reluctant to install the 6.2 Desktop from the installation CD. Besides, that would kill my 4.1.4and I might not be able to HotSync my wife's Zire 21 in the future. I was hoping to transfer the data from my Windows XP PC to my Centro so that I could then HotSync it to my Vista laptop. I used the setting "Desktop overwrites handheld".

Would you have any suggestions? Thank you.

2. HAPPY SEQUEL TO 1. ABOVE. Scratch all my nonsense above. After sending you that, I tried again using my existing Palm Desktop 4.1.4 and everything worked beautifully. I got all my contacts, tasks, calendar and memos HotSynced into my Centro. I was just too excited earlier and did something wrong. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You've been of immense help to me.

Malifedor

10. malifedor

malifedor Newbie

3. FINAL NOTE:
    My Hotsync to my Vista laptop was also successful. I did not have to use the installation CD. My old 4.1.4. desktop on the Vista laptop synced happily with my Palm Centro. Therefore, I can continue to HotSync my wife's Zire 21 to the Vista laptop as well, as in the past. Thank you very much again.

Malifedor