Synching Legacy PIM databases with Palm Desktop V-6.2

Discussion in 'Sync (Windows/Palm OS)' started by cesdewar, Sep 7, 2008.

1. cesdewar

cesdewar Mobile Enthusiast

Palm's V-6.2 "Access" Desktop syncs with the newer Palm PIM databases
    (Calendar, Contacts, Memos, Tasks), but not with the traditional/legacy PIM
    app databases (Address, Datebook, Memo, ToDo).

It turns out though that a number of changes to the windows registry
    FIXES this issue and allows a traditional/legacy Palm device to sync nicely
    with the V-6.2 Access Desktop.

I have written a small freeware application which makes all the requisite
    changes to the registry and also allows you to reverse the procedure should
    that be necessary.

You can download this application from:
    http://www.PimlicoSoftware.com/palmhotsyncsetup.exe
    or as a zip file, from:
    http://www.PimlicoSoftware.com/palmhotsyncsetup.zip

Just launch the application and select the appropriate database set and click the Setup button. Then hotsync and you should now see your data in the Palm Desktop application.

It's not clear why this problem exists - perhaps it was something that was overlooked? Perhaps a feature to switch it to the legacy databases was never written? Hard to say, but I do know that many people using Windows Vista who wanted to upgrade to this version of the Palm Desktop have not been able to do that because of this issue which is now addressed by this small application. :)

Cheers!
    CESD, Pimlico Software, Inc.

2. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

CESD comes through again as one of the best Palm OS app developers on the planet! :newpalm:

I certainly can't guarantee anything with this, but for those of you who might need it and are not familiar with CESD's work, this would be a great opportunity for you. He developed DateBk (in its various evolutions,) which is arguably one of the high spots in Palm apps. (I'd personally say the high spot - I couldn't function without it ;) )

Joe

3. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

Wonderful news for users with Legacy devices.

4. AlanG

AlanG Mobile Deity

This is really great news for folks who aren't ready to give up on their older devices!

I will definitely talk about CESD's new PDT 6.2 patching utility in an upcoming 1SRC.com podcast.

Alan G

5. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Why not ask him to join as a guest ?
    I am sure he would provide some very interesting opinions on what's happening in the PalmOS world and what he thinks should be done ;)

6. UBS

UBS Newbie

Cedeswar - you are Sir, a scholar and a gentleman! Your solution fixed my synch problems with a Sony Clie PEG-TJ35 running Palm OS 5.2.1. Having spent hours searching for a solution, this is what worked for me.

I've been synching the Clie to Outlook on my desktop XP system but wanted also to synch the same data (address book, contacts etc) to Palm Desktop on my new Asus eeePC.

Many thanks

p

7. spspinella

spspinella Newbie

I tried using the legacy software mentioned from pimlico. However I have t5, which uses the newer databases, but apparently does not work with this version of palm desktop anyway? The 6.2 hotsync appeared to be using the old name (not calendar) for syncing and it did not complete within 30 minutes.

8. Cjns

Cjns Newbie

Hi
    Newby here..

I have a zire 31 and have just recently got a vista 64 hp laptop and would love to be back where I was three months ago - able to use my calendar and contacts on the zire - NOW IT'S ONLY A GAME MACHINE.
    Will this patch help me? I've had the pda for several years but never pushed it's capabilities - used: "docs to go", and "agendus" besides games. Now all I use is games since the zire crashed on a trip and when I returned to my desktop system it had also crashed and wasn't recoverable. A lot of my data was on an external hd so I could recover it and did the games from a very old, slow xp driven laptop but chose to wait for the newer, faster, machine and now.... am I forced to maintain the old xp system as source for my pda? Sounds backwards to me.

Help ... baby steps needed.
    cjns

9. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Welcome to Brighthand, Cjns. :)

This won't help you. Your problem is that Palm Desktop is not compatible with any 64-bit version of windows because there are no Palm USB drivers for 64-bit Windows.

10. richard443b

richard443b Newbie

All,
    I may be trying to have my cake and it too. I am a basic PDA user for which I currently use the fossil/wristPDA/Au5005. I have purchased a Z22. From what I have read it appears that because the fossil is at 4.0x and the Z22 will be at 6.x when I use the new desktop I will only be able to hotsynch with the Z22.

In this thread there is discussion of a small program that will allow some older devices to synch up with the new 6.x desktop. Will it work with the fossil?

Is there a way to synch up both the fossil and the Z22? And if there is, is there a way to have a common PIMs.

Richard