Synch a Bluetooth speaker with flat screen TV

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jerry_NJ, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Not sure if this is "off topic" but can' t find anything on Bluetooth.. also suppose now there is nothing but flat screen TVs. My TV about 2 or 3 years old is not equipped for Bluetooth so I purchased a Tronics Dongle from Amazon. I have it connect to my TV and have a "rugged live" Ematic ESR102 Bluetooth speaker also purchased from Amazon. The speaker will pair with the TV but the audio is delayed. I'll guess less than a second but sufficiently that "talking heads" have lips that don't match the sound out of my Bluetooth speaker. Is there likely to be an adjustment on the TV menu to manage sync, or is this simply a shortcoming of Bluetooth speakers for use with voice?

2. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

That's an issue with the bluetooth system. Audio takes time to go through the bluetooth device. I once tried using a bluetooth headset with a guitar amp, to give me a wireless way of practicing without annoying anyone. I couldn't use it because of the delay - the sound arrived in the headset some time after I plucked a string, and it was too confusing to deal with it. Does the TV not have speakers? Bluetooth is not the best medium for audio - the quality isn't great, nor is the reliability. It's better than nothing, but there are better audio devices.

3. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Thanks, nice to know it isn't just me being stupid. Wireless is best for TV as I don't want a wire running across the room and without my hearing aids on the speakers have to be set rather loud.

My Bluetooth headphones are better, but on careful check I think I see a small delay.. I guess about 100 milliseconds (takes a careful eye to see it)... a guitar hearing delay of that would be be too much, I may try TV Dongle on my Gretsch Tennessean, not that I play well enough to bother to listen. I estimate the delay on my Bluetooth speaker is at least 500 milliseconds, maybe more.

On Palm Pilot, must have at lest 4 models, one dating back to the original model.

scjjtt likes this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I've used wireless speakers for a tv and there was no delay. I think the brand was rocketfish. They are not Bluetooth and are available at best buy.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

scjjtt, RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  5. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Incidentally, I've been looking into how to avoid the "talking heads" because my wife complains that she can't watch TV late at night while I sleep. I read about something called "AptX Low Latency codec" that reduces the audio delay. Armed with this knowledge, I searched Amazon and found the Avantree LOW LATENCY Certified Bluetooth Audio Music Receiver and Transmitter | 2-in-1 Adapter. I received it today and paired it with my wife's Motorola Buds, which do support AptX, although it doesn't say it's "low latency" in the specs. The delay is almost imperceptible, at least to my Lo-Fi ears. I then tested with my Sony MDR-1RBT Mk1 headset, which do not support AptX, and again the delay is almost imperceptible. If I mute the TV I can't notice any delay, and if I raise the volume on the TV the audio from the TV is just a little bit ahead of the headphones. How much in miliseconds I can't tell, but it's good enough for me. Perhaps you may want to test this transmitter/receiver?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    scjjtt, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.