Sync Question with hard resetted TE2

Discussion in 'Sync (Windows/Palm OS)' started by Glennski, May 10, 2012.

1. Glennski

Glennski How Little I Know -Bucky

I have been struggling with an old TE2 lately. I had a TE2 belonging to a family member that synced beautifully with Palm Desktop (Win XP). Due to a hardware issue, the unit failed and was replaced with a nice fresh TE2 that had been hard resetted. Unfortunately.... no matter how I select "custom" hotsync options, the "contacts" do not sync (does not bring the contacts db from the desktop computer onto the device). :confused: I really want to transfer those names and addresses back to the device!

Other stuff syncs, but not the address book. Adding to my confusion is I'm not clear about the diff betw address book and contacts. :confused:

I know, Brighthanders--this is SO sync 101. I tried searching the forum but came up empty... I'll be in the corner with the dunce cap. :eek:

2. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Glennski, the problem is the proper "aiming" of the Contacts conduit.

Open the HotSync Manager: on Win XP, get to the Taksbar, and find the HotSync Manager icon. right click on it, and when the menu pops, choose "Customize". The menu closes and a window opens: this is the Conduits Manager. On the upper part you will see a small narrow field: here you must be able to see your Palm HotSync name. On the rest of the window, you find this wide field with a lot of rows, each one enlisting a different Palm OS feature. These are the conduits, the virtual, temporary, and dedicated transference channels under which information is moved across between your mobile device and your desktop device.

Find the Contacts conduit and double click on it. A new window opens. You don't clarify whether you use Palm Desktop or Office Outlook as your desktop PIM. Anyway, in this window you have the chance of selecting the proper Contacts folder that you use, on either of those programs. This specific selection is what I'm talking about when I say "aiming the conduit". It's a virtual version of plugging the cable to the right outlet, you know what I mean? After you are sure that the right folder is chosen, you close the window clicking "OK".

Still in the Conduits Manager, try to find an "Address Book" conduit. If present, double-click on it, and choose the sync options to "do nothing". Once the Address Book conduit window closes, close the Conduits Manager.

Regarding the difference between Address Book and Contacts: throughout the Palm OS platform evolution, the address book that was incorporated in the platform was named, well, Address Book :rolleyes: Years later, during a Palm OS upgrade development, this address book suffered some changes and was renamed Contacts. The behavior under the hood changed little, but the new Contacts application was granted a conduit of its own, a different one from that conduit that the Address Book happened to have. Now this is just as if this Contacts app had been plugged to a different cable in order to transfer data, but the point is that for several reasons it's common to find both conduits (like both cables) present in the Palm OS implementation. And it's not like rocket science, but it's good to be aware about it, haha!

So you gotta have the Contacts app in your mobile device, "connected" to the proper Contacts conduit, and the Address Book condiut "disconnected" (if present at all), and the Contacts conduit aimed to the proper folder in your desktop. BTW, in your mobile device, go to the HotSync app, open the first drop-down menu and select the Conduit Setup option: be sure that the Contacts option is checked, and please don't mess anything else over there. Click OK and get out of there ASAP :) You follow me?

BTW, not just the address book, but other PIM apps in the Palm OS platform suffered this makeover as well. The Date Book was replaced by the Calendar, the Address Book the Contacts, the To Do List the Tasks, and AFAIK the Memos kept on being the Memos (but I kinda remember there's a newer conduit for it).

3. Glennski

Thanks Hal, really appreciate your taking the time to explain all this. I sat down with a cup of tea last night to take the approach you described. After more than a solid hour (and because it was getting late), I finally had to give up without success. I tried it as you described, but since that did not work I then tried with some variations but unfortunately nothing would work. One can see when opening up the Palm Desktop software that the addresses/names (contacts) are all intact. They just won't transfer to the Palm under any circumstance.

Other stuff syncs to this unit ok (e.g. media, ebooks) ok.

I do appreciate your taking the time to try to explain this though. There must be some step I am omitting. I have run countless hotsync operations in the past. The only thing different here is we are introducing a new unit to the desktop and asking to sync the new unit instead of the old one. It is a puzzle. Thanks again for your help.

4. Glennski

UPDATE: Problem solved! hi all, for the good of the forum here's the wrapup. I resetted the Palm unit again, did a complete hard reset. Then I set the conduits to synchronize everything. In this case it worked and all is well. YMMV. Special thanks to Hal, I have bookmarked this wisdom / good tutorial. :D c