Sync problems with Treo 650 and Outlook

Discussion in 'Sync (Windows/Palm OS)' started by clasi53, May 2, 2011.

1. clasi53

clasi53 Mobile Enthusiast

The IT guy at my office was able to get my Palm Treo to sync with my computer which has Outlook 2007 on it a coupla years ago. I just got a new computer which has Windows 7 and he can't get my palm to sync. He told me I would need to get a bluetooth adapter to get it to sync so I did. It still won't sync. Anyone been able to fix this? I love my treo 650 but I need my new computer. IT guy tells me I either need to switch back to my old computer or get a new phone. I don't want to do either. I want my 650 to sync with my new computer. Thanks.

2. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

3. clasi53

I tried another hotsync and the error message I now get is "Unable to initiate HotSync operation because the port is in use by another application". Any suggestions?

4. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

Did you try a soft reset on the palm. If this does not work than turn off the bluetooth radio and then turn it back on. There is also an application I use called NetworkDown that closes all ports. This has happened to me before. I listen to music on PTunes and download ebooks and also hotsync with bluetooth. I think the port stays open after each use and it will not handle more than one port open.

5. clasi53

How do you turn off the bluetooth? How would I close all the ports? Originally when my IT guy was looking at this it said to open a virtual port but for some reason he didn't want to do that.

6. clasi53

I did a hard reset when I first started trying to hotsync and was having problems. My IT guy seems to think that its a problem with the Palm OS. When we upgraded our system a few years ago he found a patch or something and that got my palm to sync but he can't find a patch this time. I've done some researching and it seems that some people are able to use Windows 7 and bluetooth to sync but I can't seem to figure out how to get it to work.

7. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

Your treo has not closed its bluetooth port from a previous usage and you need to close that port. There should be a bluetooth icon or in preferences so you can shut it on or off on your treo 650. I already posted the name of an application that will do this for you. The link to Palm Support Community in my first post has posts with allot of info to help you out. Go through the first post on hotsync problems at the top of the page. There are allot of little things that you need to look at. Hotsyncing with bluetooth can be a real challenge. There is also a post on how to Wifi hotsync there.

8. HenrySGurr

HenrySGurr Newbie

SUBJECT
    My Procedure for Successful Installation of Palm HotSync Drivers On Vista & Win7 OS Computer

Dear Palm Users

WOW !!!

I can now HotSync my Palm Centro to my Win7 LapTop!!!
    All of it .... Photos, Calendar, Notes, Addresses / Phone#'s Etc!!!

WOW !!!

I'm so happy ... I decided to write up a complete "HOW_TO" document, to help persons like you to be able to do the same. You will be happy also!!

This is my way of "contributing back" .... for the many Resources, Forums, WebPages, SoftWare (Open Source & otherwise), I use daily on Internet.

Also my way of saying thank you to following persons / organizations:
    A) Thank you .aceeca.com/ for originally coding the needed HotSync 64bid Vista & Win7 Drivers.
    B) Thank you (again) .aceeca.com/ for making these drivers Internet available for free download.
    C) Thanks to who-ever it was that a) Discovered the Aceeca Drivers, b) Realized their application to (urgently needed by users of all) Palm Devices HotSync Drivers for 64bid Vista & Win7 computers, and then c) Posted their discovery, for the whole world to use!!
    D) And finally thanks to WyerNut, of forums.hpwebos.com/ for his moderation of all those Palm Forums, and having discovered the Aceeca Drivers, installed them on his Windows Vista. and then.took the time to post his own"HOW_TO"!! (A copy of which I have incorporated, with links, into my Win7 "HOW_TO" document, link below.)
    E) Thank you all!!

TITLE: My Procedure for Successful Installation of Palm HotSync Driver On Vista & Win7 OS Computer. This Driver Is For a HotSync of Many (?Most?) Palm Hand Held Devices (Older Palm-PDA's, Centro, Treo, etc), To The So-Called “Palm DeskTop”.

To HotSync many (?most?) PalmOS or HP/PalmWebOS Devices to 64bit Vista and Windows 7 operating systems, you can sucessfully use the needed hardware drivers from .aceeca.com/ However, getting them installed is not "an automatic". You will have to do the install yourself, step by step. If you need guidance, please click on the link below, to use my "Complete Palm HotSync Aceeca Driver Installation Guide":
    ww2.usca.edu/ResearchProjects/ProfessorGurr/Documents/PalmHotSyncDriverWin7Vista64bit

Caution: The Aceeca drivers are most certainly good for more recent PalmWebOS devices. And according to various Palm forums, there are statements that these drivers also work for the older PalmOS devices. The Aceeca TroubleShootGuide, talks about Hotsync ACEECA Palm OS 4.x or Garnet OS 5.x device, in ways that the driver will work on these devices:
    .aceeca.com/products/pub/english/Troubleshooting_USB_driver_installation_on_Windows_7_64-bit.pdf

HOWEVER, I have not tried this, and only seen a few reports of success by others. Concerning Aceeca Drivers, one report says " 64bit driver works with palm os4 and os5 smartphones and pda's"
    forums.precentral.net/palm-wm-devices/281016-64bit-driver-works-palm-os4-os5-smartphones-pdas.html

So, if you have the time to experiment, give it a try and let me know. Thanks

If you like my Guide (or notice needed corrections / improvements) could you please drop me a line!!

Sincerely Henry Gurr
    HenryG ___ Aiken.SC.edu .

9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Welcome to Brighthand, HenrySGurr. :)

Wyrenut is an esteemed member here, too. :cool:

10. cybernursedeb

cybernursedeb Newbie

I am having problems syncing my treo 650 with outlook 2007 calander. Computer goes through the process but the calander does not sync up. What am I doing wrong.
    Thanks for any help
    Deb

11. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

Welcome to Brighthand, Deb. :)

I'm not sure I can help, but anyone who can will need to know more about what you have tried previously, your computer and OS, and what happens when you try. Did it used to work and now it has stopped or are you just trying this for the first time now. If it used to work, has anything changed?

The more details the better.