Symbian and the Case of Growing Noticeable

Discussion in 'Symbian' started by Antoine Wright, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

Well, I wasn't passing judgment on Linux. I have used it myself a number of times, but for my simple needs, I just find Windows less work, I have something I do that absolutely requires Windows and I have no interest in switching OSs for different tasks. I think that Linux is a success-- you don't need to be #1 to be a success. I don't think either Linux nor windows have a great UI although Windows makes it a tad easier to function if you don't know what you are doing and don't have someone more knowledgeable around.

On the handheld end, there is no question Symbian needed better marketing, but marketing only works if the product lives up to it. I dropped Symbian after a year because it was just too frustrating (5800), software was underfeatured and too expensive, and they destroyed the desktop software. My opinion. Symbian ^1 was a work-in-progress, not release-ready software.

iOS couldn't multitask and neither could Palm, but Apple delivered functionality and a smooth user experience that people enjoyed using. Serious business people bought iPhones. Characterizng everyone with an iphone as an "oooo, shiney" idiot is frankly both untrue and insulting. Not all smart people make the same choices you do.

2. SyncRaven

SyncRaven Mobile Deity

Well I wasn't trying to personally criticize anyone - I don't think anyone is an idiot for choosing an iphone. I do, however think the iphone wasn't that revolutionary compared to symbian. :).. mostly shiny, so we will have to disagree on that front.
    When the first white ibook with OS X was released the marketing got the better of me and I purchased it. Apple, through good marketing, convinced me how revolutionary it was.
    In retrospect, not much better really then any already existing technologies... mostly just marketing in my opinion.

So I don't claim to be any different or smarter, just saying things like I see it regarding symbian and other offerings.