Symantec Rolls Out Free Norton Security Software for Android OS Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Jacqueline Emigh, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Scott_L

Scott_L Palm til it's gone!

Are they going to release an app to remove this app as they did for Windows? Whenever I help someone with computer problems and I see a Symantec product I tell them "This has to go first". I've seen a handful of computers where the people lost access to the internet and as much as I messed with settings I couldn't get them online until the Symantec product was disabled/deleted. Maybe it will be different on Android, but IMO Windows hasn't seen such an annoying product since AOL (and its updates). I've been anti-MS for a long time, but I've recommending and using MS Security Essentials. :eek: To be honest, I think MS is starting to get Windows right with Windows 7. <dare I say this in public?> I officially hung my OS/2 is better hat with the release of Win7.

2. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Years ago (90s to early 2000s) I might have agreed with you, but I run Symantic Endpoint Protection on several XP machines, Vista and WP7 and it is just fine. Does a great job of protecting, doesn't slow down the computer, doesn't create any other problems. I use it because it is supplied by work (wisely deciding it doesn't want people bringing in infected files from home), but It hasn't caused any problems in years.

3. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

I remember having a lot of trouble with our computers here in the office when we loaded Kapersky. We canned that and just used a free Avast instead with no problems.

After my work PC crashed recently, my brother decided to try Microsoft Security Essentials instead. So far, so good.

I'm surprised there aren't more problems with cyber-vd on Android phones already, given their numbers.

4. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Partially, I think it is still harder and less rewarding to do. Look at the way normal programs sometimes have problems depending on which device they are on even though allegedly the OS is the same on all of them. Phones are so much more hardware specific than your average Windows computer. Windows, in sheer numbers, dwarfs any other target and are all essentially the same.

Next is the Market delivery system which does a pretty good job exerting quality control, especially Apple which would be the next logical target-- a very large number of units with identical hardware.

It's just easier and you can just get more bang for your buck, whatever your goal, attacking windows computers.

5. Scott_L

Scott_L Palm til it's gone!

I feel I have to give credit where it's due. Norton Utilities 4.5 repaired many major drive flaws for me (MFM and RLL days) - I felt it started slipping at v5 and was disgusted when it became Symantec Utilities. I'm sure part of my dislike is just clinging to that sellout. My employer has chosen Symantec Endpoint Protection for all clients and servers as well. Maybe things are better with this than the old Security Suite and I should give it a chance before tossing it in my Symantec dumpster.

I like the freebies, but a few of them have bloated or gone directions I don't care for and I don't want to play the constant change game anymore. This firewall, that AV, this malware protection ... It's crazy!

6. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I may need to go to Avast, because AVG is a huge problem now. It slows the machine down like crazy, won't shut off or pause when I select that, etc. Why is it that so many providers seem to bloat their products uselessly?

7. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

When posting your comments, please keep in mind that we're a smartphone-related website. Try to keep the discussion in that general area.
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  8. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Sorry. My compass was spinning, as usual. :eek: