Swapping SD card in Samsung S5

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by abenn, Jan 3, 2020.

1. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

I wish to increase the memory capacity of my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone by swapping the present 16GB SD card for a 128GB one. Is it simply a mattery of copying all the folders and data from the existing SD card onto the new one before installing it in the phone -- e.g. by connecting my phone to my Windows 10 PC by USB, putting the new SD card into my PC's slot, and then using Windows File Explorer to drag and drop the folders and files? Or should I install the blank new card in the phone first, put the old card in the PC's slot, then use Windows File Explorer to drag and drop all the files and folders from the old card onto the new one in the phone?

Will either of those methods result in lost data, or the phone not working correctly? I've already got all the apps that I can onto the SD card because the phone's memory is almost full. Is there a better, or 'correct' procedure for doing the job?

jigwashere likes this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

If you have apps installed on the SD card, then I think it's best to first make room in the phone's internal storage by moving stuff (documents, music, photos, etc) to the computer, then move the apps on the card back to the phone's internal storage. What I'd do then is connect the phone to the PC, and drag & drop my files and folders from the old card to a folder in the PC, thus making a backup of the card. Then I'd insert the new card on the phone so it can recognize and initialize it, and then copy the stuff from the backup folder on the PC to the new card. Make sure the phone reads everything ok, and then move the apps to the new SD card. I think this will guarantee that all apps will survive the transplant and work properly.

3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Think that's the right course of action. If it were just files, you could probably just copy to your computer and then copy back. But as it probably includes apps, you need to do it like Raspy says.

lelisa13p, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Since you're not switching phones, I don't think it matters that apps are installed on your microSD card. If you were migrating to a new phone, I might agree, but you're simply migrating data (both files and apps are just data) from one card to another. Android won't know the difference - it's looking for folder structure, not specific memory addresses. You can certainly follow raspy's advice, I just don't think it's necessary. Copying everything to the new card should be almost as simple as you first thought. I would recommend that you shut off the phone and do the following:
    • Put the old microSD card into your PC's card reader.
    • In File Explorer, click the View tab and check the Hidden Items box. This should ensure you're copying everything.
    • Copy the entire contents of the old microSD card to a temporary file location on your PC. Make sure you're maintaining the original folder structure by copying everything at once.
    • Safely eject the old microSD card from your PC and mount the new microSD card.
    • Copy the contents you saved from your PC to the new microSD card.
    • Safely eject the new microSD card from our PC and pop it into your phone.
    • Power on your phone and make sure everything is working okay.

5. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

OK, thanks guys. One problem I would have with raspabalsa's suggestion is that there's practically no space left in the phone's internal storage, which is the reason some apps are on the card. So I'll go with jigwashere's process (good reminder about hidden files) and, if any apps go AWOL in the process it should be a simple matter to reinstall them from the store.

lelisa13p, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

not dragging off-topic exactly, since question is related to abenn's internal memory situation....

I'm down to about 1.3Gb internal memory on my S5 (16Gb model, rooted but stock version 5.0). When I use the built-in settings > Storage & USB to see what is taking up so much storage, I see that Miscellaneous files is taking up over 5Gb -- when I open that to see whats there, I see nowhere close to 5Gb of files. Can anyone tell me whats taking up so much space, while being hidden?

pre-post EDIT: nevermind; when going to grab a screenshot, I just noticed that the very first thing listed in Miscellaneous files is System memory.....over 5GB

scjjtt, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  7. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Just got my new 128Gb SD card this morning, and it seems to have been accepted by my Galaxy after I'd copied over all the files from the old one following jigwashere's procedure.

All my photos are still there and viewable, but PowerAmp is telling me it can't play my music because "Storage unmounted". The native Samsung music player can play the files, but I prefer PowerAmp's features, so I'll have to figure out why it thinks the card is unmounted.

RickAgresta, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Glad to know you sucessfully swapped the card, abenn. As for Poweramp, you will have to reload or rebuild the library. The program remembers the SD card serial number or name and searches for the files in that card. New card, new serial, new name, Poweramp won't find them. Try going to Poweramp's Menu -> Settings -> Library, select "Rescan". If still it doesn't find the music, look further down in the same menu for "Music Folders". There you can manually select the folder in the new SD card. After you check the music folders, Poweramp will do a rescan and then you should be able to play your music. The same thing happens on other third-party music players such as JetAudio or Neutron.

Hope this helps.

9. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Like Raspy says, a rescan should do it. In Settings/Library/Music Folders, make sure that your new microSD card storage folder is selected. After that, you'll want to do a FULL RESCAN. You'll likely get a warning message, but that just means PowerAmp is going to clean up its internal database.

RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.
  10. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Thanks guys. Rescan and Music Folders both showed 4848 tracks, but wouldn't play. Full Rescan, further down the menu, did the job though.