SunriseXP/Plucker for the Palm, what's for the PalmPre?

Discussion in 'Palm Pre and Pre Plus' started by javierdl, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. javierdl

javierdl 3D Animator

I am just starting to do a slow migration from my Palm TX to my Palm Pre. I used to capture web pages with SXP & Plucker all the time, what would I use to do the same with my Palm Pre?
    This brings me to a related question:
    To install new apps into my PalmTX I would normally get the files into my desktop pc then sync with the PalmTX, and voila!
    I read somewhere that there's no syncing with the Palm Pre. Does this mean that is via Hotspots (access points) and internet access from my cellphone company the only way to get it done? How about manually? While the Palm Pre is plugged as a USB drive...

Thanks in advance guys,

JDL
  2. muppet_funk

muppet_funk Pre Nut

There's no direct equivalent to Sunrise/Plucker. I do miss it too. There's an RSS reader called NewsRoom that works on a similar premise, except they do the scraping on their server and then deliver the content to you. The upside is that you don't have to deal with creating the rules yourself. The downsides are 1) the site has to offer an RSS feed to start from, and B) if NewsRoom's scraping rules are wrong, you can't fix them.

Official apps for the Pre are installed over the air through the official catalogue. Unofficial (i.e. homebrew) apps can be sideloaded from a desktop through something called WebOS Quick Install. Just search for it. It's easy to find.
  3. halfhalo

halfhalo Visiting NBR Mod

Keep in mind that (save for no service/app dev/bandwidth limit) there really is no reason to not install apps over the air using either palms app-cat or preware (homebrew installer). Well, thats a lie, you need to install preware from a desktop. But after that, preware will install any/all ipk's you give it, either from its own application feeds or off the internal flash, and it will do it with a raft of safety procedures to limit the risk of software breaking your phone.
  4. philpalm

philpalm Newbie

There are amateurs and there are experts at using sunrise and Plucker. If you can download for plucker cartoons I suppose you are above average Plucker user.

I used to use Plucker for BBC news and the amount of news can really be prodigious. The Mobipocket version of BBC news is a bit slower to download but it seems to be about right for me (except I do think the sports news on rugby is a mite excessive)

If you do blogs, then Plucker is useful to save one day of blog. Pictures that don't require high res are great to be saved but download the JPeg for a better picture.....

Plucker was useful for commuters who read on the bus. However with 4G phones it might be better to read via CellPhone transmission. However subway commuters may still need Plucker because most subways prevent cell phone usage.

I suppose if someone wanted to have a library, Plucker would be a nice way to go to store compact files. Otherwise I wonder if someone will make ebooks similar to Plucker so that Plucker will be obsolete.
  5. muppet_funk

muppet_funk Pre Nut

It was for this reason that I mentioned the NewsRoom app. Unlike most RSS readers, it downloads content to the device in the background when cell / WiFi reception is available so that when you're on that subway ride, you've got something to read.