1. We will be doing some work to upgrade the forum platform and add new features and style options beginning at 10 a.m. EST on Tuesday, September 23 and lasting for approximately 30 minutes. This will include about 10 minutes of site downtime and another 10-20 minutes where the forum will be read-only (no new posts allowed). We'll take down this message once work is complete.

Suggestions on a Simple Modern-PDA?

Discussion in 'PDAs and Handhelds' started by toastysquirrel, Dec 13, 2012.

1. toastysquirrel

toastysquirrel Mobile Enthusiast

First, yes I did look through the post here http://forum.brighthand.com/pdas-handhelds/6908-looking-pda-article-links-here.html ; but it's a bit dated.

I wondered if anyone would like to weigh in on their opinions or experience with a good, but simple, modern PDA (post 2009 if possible). Key things I'm looking for are:

Lightweight.
    Compact (fit in pocket would be nice).
    Color.
    Lots of screen room.
    Calendar App.
    Task/Todo App.
    Notes App.
    QWERTY input (either touchscreen or physical).

It doesn't have to be a "PDA" per se, but I'm not interested in a phone and a tablet may be overkill. I appreciate any ideas and comments. Thanks everyone.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta boldly battling the XenForo-ces {squeek!!}

these seem to be pretty well liked: Samsung Galaxy Player 4" & 5", they run Android (Gingerbread, I think, but could be rooted and upgraded) so have access to a wide number of 3rd party apps. Also, of course, is the iPod Touch.
    Hook likes this.
  3. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Pretty much what Rick said, but I would think that the Galaxy Players would probably be a little better in terms of "serious" use. Also, the Galaxy Player 5 is a little big and heavy, so you might want to find a Galaxy Player 4.2 instead.
  4. EurekaSam

EurekaSam Newbie

Do any of these Samsung Galaxy types have a category for entries?

I set up a Medical category and flag all Medical expenses, mostly Dr. visits and then I print them out at the end of the year. From the Dr. visits, trips to the pharmacy I can calculate medical miles traveled for my income tax.
    Prescriptions and other medical expenses, not covered by insurance, Dental, glasses, hearing aids are also included.

Sam
  5. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

You are not really asking about a device or OS capability but whether there are apps with the capability you are looking for. here is just one possible search you could do in the Google Play store to find out..

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=expenses tracker&c=apps

You can also set up your own excel spread sheet, if that is your preference. The player 5 at least comes with it's own office suite, Thnk Office.
  6. EurekaSam

EurekaSam Newbie

I was only asking if the Samsung Galaxy types had the capability to set up categories like the Palm Tungsten T-5.

Most of the Apps at the GOOGLE Store seem to be slated to Expense tracking.

Sam
  7. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

Again, that is an app-by-app question. I was using your example.
  8. RickAgresta

RickAgresta boldly battling the XenForo-ces {squeek!!}

in a nutshell (IMO), neither iOS nor Android has all the capabilities of an out-of-the-box T5, when one is looking for comparable PIMs (personal information management) apps most especially an out-of-the-box device; categories is one glaring example, although if you don't mind icons instead of words you might get close. I didn't include WindowsPhone8 because I don't know much about it -- if it came with some flavor of MS Office, it might have categories similar to the T5. I know nothing about Blackberry.

I personally think a spreadsheet of some kind would work, too.
  9. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Mobile Deity

Android has a version of Pocket Informant, but it falls very short of the Windows Mobile version I knew that was bundled with the HP iPAQ hx4700. That WM version gave Palm OS some serious competition.

I'm learning to get by on Samsung's Calendar app that they've integrated into the Galaxy S III and their other devices. Unfortunately, it still has no formal categories from what I can discern...for the calendar. The task list has groups. Why the inconsistency?

As for suggestions, if you must have new hardware, your choices are limited. Frankly, the best option may actually be to buy a smartphone and just not bother with actually activating it for service. This is what I was planning to do with the Galaxy Note if I ever got one.
  10. lciotti

lciotti Newbie

I too would love to find a modern PDA that functions as well as the classic Palm devices did. I suppose a T|X was the last PDA that palm made that will give me WiFi, but if there was something similar that included an upgraded web browser to work with modern web pages. Will have to look into the Galaxy line now, but I actually would prefer a stylus rather than a touch screen.
  11. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

You can buy a stylus for use with a capacitive screen if you want one, although it won't be quite as accurate as the types you're used to.
  12. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I am one of the last ones around here who switched from Palm OS to Android. Actually I went back and forth about 3 times in all. Fortunately everyone here were patient and very helpful during my transitions.
    Today I'm happy that I made the switch to Android and have made the Phone to function as close to a Palm as possible. Below are the apps that I found that helps makes this happen:

Input: Graffiti Pro - Yes, you can use a stylus and you will use it more with this app. It uses the original graffiti that Palm used on their PDA's. I'm am writing this with my finger - sometimes I grab my Stylus if I’m at one of my desks where I have a stylus laying. (Graffiti is free, Graffiti Pro is the paid version)

Calendar: CalenGoo does a great job. Presently I have 20 different calendars in CalenGoo. A word to the warning - you want CalenGoo to sync only with Google and not your phone or handheld’s Android calendar. There are instructions here on BH to do that and all the why’s. It’s not hard.

Tasks: CalenGoo - and just like Palm the tasks show up on my daily calendar or agenda. It also syncs with Google tasks. I have 2 categories - Personal and Business. You can also prioritize each item, 1-5, and give a due date with reminders!

Memos: NoteEverything Pro – it brought in all my notes from the past 13 plus years of using Palm with all the categories without a flaw! The biggest problem I have with it, though, is I can not single out just a word or a sentence to copy or cut. You can put all of it into clipboard. One neat thing with NoteEverything Pro is you can have a sticky note. Even though I have NoteEverything as an app on my phone’s screen - up in the top corner of my screen by my battery’s percentage is a tiny little text box. By clicking that I can open up that specific note. For over 13 years I have one memo or NoteEverything for every month. This is where I put down info that I may need to remember for the future in dealing with people and issues. It comes in handy when someone says, “Well, who did you talk to?” And just like with Palm you can put the time and date in swiftly so I am able to say, “Well, on July 28 at 9:43am I spoke to NAME and he/she said...”.

Contacts: Google & PDF’s (which I’ll explain). I personally like the cloud for this function. I have all my contacts available on matter if I’m using my phone, laptop, chromebook, or even my HP TouchPad. Everything is there. I imported my contacts out of Palm Desktop by my different categories: Business, Personal, Church, and AZ District. I imported them into Google into such made up folders as well.
    Before with my Palm I had a powerful app that would sync with our church’s database. At first I tried importing all of those into Google, but there were just too many entries and would slow my phone down looking up someone. (Interesting, it wasn’t slow on my Centro). I also had problems having all of those contacts on the cloud. So I deleted all of those and only went to putting on those that I normally or would use in Google, (I have a folder for Active Members and Active Non-Members).

But every now and then, I needed info on someone who wasn’t in my Google list. That is where I discovered that I could use a PDF file. Here is how it works - I make a PDF file of a Directory from our database. In file are addresses, phone numbers, and emails along with birthdays and membership status. HERE’S THE BEAUTY of doing this: I open the pdf file in QuickOffice and I can hold my finger down on a phone number and it opens up my phone app and I press the talk button. I can hold down my finger on an email and it opens up my email app with their email address in the email. For physical addresses I just copy the address and paste it into MAPS and there is their location.

Doing this allows me to have access to over a thousand contacts. Every now and then I’ll delete this file and grab a new one off our database and it gives me all the new updates of people or changes in people’s info.

One last app that has transformed my Android into a Palm - and it really does - and that is StyleTap. Rather expensive at $50 when I bought it but it emulates a Palm Treo screen. You can run all your old Palm software on it - except those that require syncing with the Palm. I know that this may not help you, but I had a very powerful Bible Program that has yet to be fully developed for Android - so I wanted access to it, all the translations, commentaries and notes. Now I have it. You can try it out for free for 30 days.

Trust me, leaving Palm OS was a major change for me. Yes, there are times I miss it, especially how the PIM’s all worked so well together, but I have now my Android phone basically functioning as my Palms did - but yet it can do so much more.

You may want to consider picking up a phone off of ebay or watch DailySteals and get one that could use a carrier that you might be consider using in the future - or a phone that uses a limited no contract service like Hook has used. This way, you could have the best of both worlds - a new pda and a phone with internet.

Good luck and don’t be afraid to take the plunge - most of us have and we’re making it!

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4g using Tapatalk
    Hook likes this.