Suggestions for prolonging battery life on a single charge?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by RickAgresta, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I've discovered the phone has a doze function, though I don't yet know the parameters. However, some amount of time of inactivity with the phone fully charged will cause the external battery to turn itself off.

There are two other tests I want to run. One is to track SOT. For example, it has now been over 36 hours since I charged things up and the external battery is still above 50%. However, that includes time I'm not using the phone like when I'm sleeping.

The second is to start out with he external battery off, run the phone battery down and then see how long the recharge takes from just the battery pack. I'll come back and report what I find.

lelisa13p, Mi An, scjjtt and 3 others like this.
  2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Nice looking TX![​IMG]

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

3. Hook

:vbwink: :vbgrin:

scjjtt, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  4. Hook

So, it turns out that the four lights on the back of the case are unreliable indicators. It took it 48 hours to finally get down to two lights, but then went to one blinking light in 3 hours and it was no longer charging. The phone, of course, still had a full battery, so it was fine. So my plan is now to top off every other night while I sleep and it should be fine and I shuldn't have to try to interpret the lights on the back (although I assumed that thinking each light would equal a 25% range was likely too simple).

5. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Probably the case has a simple voltage divider or comparator to control the lights. Voltage is not a reliable indicator for charge state, especially for large Li-Poly batteries. These batteries stay very near full voltage for a long time, then when they approach low-charge status the voltage will drop much faster, thus triggering the low charge lights sooner than expected. I saw this on one of my old projects to make a very large portable charger for my TX. The full charge LED would stay on seemingly forever, but once the half-charge LED turned on it meant the battery was very close to discharged voltage.

If you can spare some time you could calculate the charge equivalence of each light, by running an intensive app with nearly constant power consumption, like a movie, then timing how long it takes for the lights to turn on/off, and with that you can calculate how much power percentage each light corresponds to.... Just kidding, I don't think I would do that now. But 10 years ago I would have, undoubtedly. Some of my geeknees must have spilled off me when I decided to leave my TX in a desk drawer for good :(

6. Hook

I have to say I am just loving this setup. The battery case is good for 48 hours (and then the phone itself adds another 5-6 hours), but I've settled into topping off overnight every other night (roughly every 36 hours). Just being free of putting the phone on a charger at every opportunity so as not to have to worry if the charge is going to last makes an amazing difference.

As far as I can tell, it does not turbo charge. I ran the phone down to 62% and then turned on the case and it took roughly an hour to return to 100%. However, it made me realize that turbo charging doesn't really matter in this context. The appeal of turbo charge is that charging your phone means having your phone out of service, attached to the wall. Here, I just push a button on the back and keep using my phone.

And honestly, and this surprises the heck out of me, I love the weight and the feel. I love the fact that it feels like I have something substantial in my hand, that I'm not going to crush it and it's not going to slip through my fingers because it's so thin and slippery. It really feels good (the case does a really good job of balancing the weight. The phone isn't top-heavy or bottom-heavy. It reallly feels comfortable in the hand.

It fits in all my pockets, even dress shirt pockets (though I wouldn't carry it there). I carry it in the front left pocket of my jeans. Sure, people definitely know I have something in that pocket, but it fits easily and is comfortable to carry.

So, after initially posting it here as a kind of joke and then finding myself strangely drawn to this case, I am sooo happy I took the plunge! :thumbsup:

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Any chance device manufacturers will finally take notice and start putting larger batteries into their phones? Sigh. . . .fat chance.

8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Slim, jig... that's the operative word here. As in slim chance ;)

But yeah, I too wish manufacturers would revert the current trend for radically slim devices.

9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

lelisa13p, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  10. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Glad to hear that you like Hookette's new figure!

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.