Suggestions for prolonging battery life on a single charge?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by RickAgresta, Nov 17, 2017.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

does the Pixel 2 come pre-loaded with Bog_Detector™? just sayin'…
    <scurries away, looking for Don's duck-in-helmet…>

jigwashere and lelisa13p like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

So, after the weird but ultimately satisfying interaction with Joey, I decided to get Mrs. Hook a Zerolemon battery case to properly uglify her Pixel 2 XL because she keeps running out of battery. She's very happy with it. They have greatly improved the assembly-- it is now quite easy to put on and take off . They made the former awkward 3 part assembly into a single very stable piece that slips over the phone like a glove. Nice.

3. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

One oddball dream I've had for some time is to never plug my phone in again. With motomods, my idea to do this is to have a battery mod that is capable of charging without being attached to the phone (most can't, but a few have either built in wireless charging and at least one has a usbc port), and plug in the battery with the advantage that my phone would never be tethered to a wall, I'll just slap the pack on, charge, then put the pack back on the charger when convenient. Plus my battery endurance has started to slip through both wear and battery unfriendly os updates, so I'll use it a conventionally too.

But moto mod batteries are crazy expensive IMO. Retail for moto's turbpower pack, the one with the usbc charging port, is $80. It's a bit much, especially since my midrange phone is nearly 3 years old, and I'm less enthused by recent Zs than the OG Z Play, so mods may not carry forward. How much do I really want to spend on this old lug at this point? To wit, in the aftermath of the Z3 launch, moto mod supplies have greatly tightened (possibly discontinued). Turbopower packs routinely sell used/refurbished near MSRP, and new as high as $130! 0.o No chance I'm paying that.

Saw it briefly listed new at bhphotovideo for $50... still a little steep, but probably my best chance unless motorola starts making more, so I pulled out one of my old tricks for affording sale price tech. If 1 on sale is still too expensive, then buy 3! I've gotten tech I either couldn't afford or justify the price of this way before. Selling the two extra batteries will make me feel better about putting money into this old phone. The one thing I never do in this little scheme is open "my" 1 before I sell the other 2 at the hoped for price (that way I can still sell the 3rd in new condition if necessary). It's always torture. My toy sits there in the sealed box calling to me, singing a siren song.

Open me. Don't worry about falling demand or increasing supply. You'll be fine. I'm shiny and smell like manufacturing chemicals! ♪

Sirens aren't great lyricists. :vbrolleyes: But they somehow manage to be pretty persuasive despite that.

Anyway, I don't think an extra 3500ish mah is going to give me zerolemon style battery endurance even if I use both fully charged, but this thread was still the first thing I thought of. Looking forward to getting a little more life from my Z Play. Also my main defense for rehijacking this thread is that Hook did it first. :vbtongue: Sorry, Rick!

4. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Mi An - I am still able to do that with my LG v10. I rotate between 4 batteries & hardly ever plug my phone in to be charged. Mrs scjjtt has 3 batteries for her v10 but chooses to plug it in at night.

I'm not looking forward to the day I can't replace my batteries anymore.

Sent from my LG v10 using Tapatalk

5. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

I'd almost forgotten that user-replaceable (not just theoretically possible to dismantle with enough patience and the hands of a surgeon, but designed to be removable) were a thing. I've never had an android with a back cover you could slide off the way my razrs or touch pro2 had. I didn't even realize I was being nostalgic again.

6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

not anything to worry about :newpalm:

ya know, if, as I've read/heard somewhere, that with age comes memory-loss, then maybe you're just ahead of the curve this time around...it'll be a new development, once the original memory has departed. :vbtongue:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    scjjtt, jigwashere and Mi An like this.
  7. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

More and more things also have wireless charging, so you can toss your phone into a compartment in the car or in your house or office and it's almost always charging. Not the most efficient and also expensive; but an option.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and Mi An like this.
  8. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

I've begun using my turbopower mod and set up a widget on my homescreen to count how many days I go without plugging in my phone. It's a self-designed gimmick and I might lose interest after a bit, I certainly lost interest in wireless charging quickly, but I'm eager to try it for a while.

There have been like a dozen different moto mod batteries and I got this particular model (moto turbopower pack) for the usb c port so I can charge the battery alone, but its headline feature is turbocharging, which I don't want to use on a daily basis for reasons of wear and tear and heat and capacity. You can slow charge by selecting efficiency mode, but only to 80% of the phone's total capacity, then it will intermittently charge as often as necessary to keep the battery at 80% until the mod runs dry. It also has a software off toggle, so you can leave the battery physically attached but not charging.

The back has something common among usb batteries, but more rare among moto mod batteries, a button and little led's to indicate 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% charge if it's not attached. If it is attached to the phone, the notification tells you exactly what percent is left in both batteries. The back is soft touch, nice and grippy, and attracts pocket lint like a magnet. It's a nice package, I like it. I don't have another camera handy to show it off, but here's a shot from google images.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20171215173759449_COVER-min.jpg

9. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Wow, I wish that could be done with my Zerolemon case, but as far as I can tell, Android is blind to the Zerolemon, as are all bettery apps I've tried. Sounds like a great battery pack! :newpalm: