Suggestions for prolonging battery life on a single charge?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by RickAgresta, Nov 17, 2017.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Device is a Galaxy S5 16Gb on-board memory, standard battery, currently with a 64Gb microSDXC card, running 5.0, on Verizon; rooted but otherwise stock. Staying stock and retaining root pretty much restricts me to 5.0, if I understand things correctly.

There are some obvious steps, such as screen brightness being as low as reasonable, display timeout being as short as practical, turning off wifi when not needed (same for cellular data), and I guess running a reasonably recent version of Android is a basic step (not totally convinced of that, though).

On top of those, there are myriad apps that claim to tweak settings to extend your battery life -- has anyone had real success using any of them?? One would think that underclocking would help (personally, I've seen little to support that), as would causing apps to hibernate more quickly than they would otherwise (various battery saver apps include that feature).

So, since I'm on the charger whenever I can be at my desk and I still see what I think is poor battery life (short of going into airplane mode; if I do *that* I easily make it a day on a charge, but that kind of defeats the purpose of carrying a phone) I'm open to suggestions (excluding switching to an iDevice :vbrolleyes:).

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I read an interesting article this week that suggested having 2 phones. Since most everything is synchronised over the air, the idea is that it should be relatively simple to switch between phones. While the idea has some merit, having a portable battery backup option seems better to me.

Anyway, I don't think there's much you can do to gain enough to offset the pain of dimming the screen and turning things off.

My Nexus 6 battery no longer lasts a day. I'm hoping the next Pure Nexus ROM upgrade will help, but for now I keep a charger handy. I'll also consider replacing the battery.

Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I've tried a few battery/power saving apps. From what I've seen, the exaggerated power saving claims some (most?) have are usually based on switching off WiFi and BT, lowering screen brightness, and shutting data off. In other words, severely reducing phone functionality. I What I've seen that works is lowering screen FPS and resolution. Both of these will produce power savings, but the effect will be noticeable if the app consumes lots of power. In other words, games. I doubt that every-day apps will benefit from this.
    There is an option that allows the OS to turn on WiFi and scan even if WiFi is set to off. I guess turning this option off will produce some savings, although I don't know how much. Another option that may work is uninstalling non essential apps. It's amazing how many apps are loaded at boot and remain in the background even when not used at all. This must create some impact on battery endurance.

Yet another option is getting a second battery for the phone, or an extended battery - this phrase takes me back to my Palm modding days :) . On Amazon there's plenty of options: larger batteries that protrude from the phone's back (with a new larger back cover), full cases with huge batteries tucked inside, and add-on batteries that charge the phone via the USB port.
    I use this option. I keep my old LG Optimus L7 (double SIM tray, one kept empty) in my shoulder bag at all times. I haven't had to use it yet, and it would be very annoying to be forced to do it since it has a small screen and its performance is very limited. I also keep two battery packs always charged, one in my belt pouch, and one in my shoulder bag. The shoulder bag is an EDC for me, and I use the belt pouch always at work and in the field, but when I go to the city I keep the pouch in the bag, so it's also an EDC :D. May sound extreme, but as I often say, you never know when you'll need any of this. Long power blackouts (over 10 hours) are not unusual here and I often go on long field trips. With this setup I can at least play music and watch movies until the lights come back on or I arrive to a place with power outlets.

scjjtt, Mi An, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  4. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

By and large, I've never seen anything that convinces me battery saving/tweaking apps ar anything but snake oil. At best, they can allow you to set up a scenario that supports optimizing your uses of a phone (text-based work vs video), but even here the differences are small. Frankly, after the usual things you list, as far as I have seen in my limited experience is that the only other main factor is the kernel and how well optimized it is. Since I use SBDs*, my options are severely limited, but a good kernel is one I count on. But mostly, same as you, I count on having chargers *everywhere*! :vbrolleyes:

*Sealed Battery Devices :vbwink:

scjjtt, raspabalsa, Mi An and 2 others like this.
  5. RickAgresta

I have a spare battery, but don't go to heroic efforts like you do, Raspy, to be sure I have it -- I do have chargers and cables out the wazoo (yes, jig, still painful :vbgrin:)

my most demanding games are Angry Birds.... :vbrolleyes:

the idea of uninstalling unneeded apps is a good one, although I try to stay on top of them already; won't hurt to take another look though.

another factor, possibly, is that the Verizon network still, I believe, incorporates CDMA connectivity as needed; iirc, GSM was always more power-frugal than CDMA.

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Too bad a shot of penicillin won't cure your SBD. ;)

7. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Have you tried selling your S5 and buying a Moto Z Play? :vbtongue:

8. RickAgresta

[​IMG]

scjjtt, Hook, Mi An and 1 other person like this.
  9. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Agree on the Z Play. Around two months ago my wife told me she had, for the first time since I gave her the ZP (a year this month), seen the low battery warning. She even wondered if this meant her phone was failing. Took me some time to assure her this was normal :D

It's also a very sturdy phone, especially with the Verizon bumper (thanks for the recommendation, Mi An). Yesterday my wife slipped on the road while texting and fell - she hurt her knee, but it's not bad- and her ZP went flying. The phone crashed against the concrete, bounced 4 or 5 times hitting the corners of the bumper until it came to rest almost 10 meters away. Later I checked it and it has not the least sign of damage. Amazing.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and Mi An like this.
  10. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

App active management is not so hot in Android 5. 6, and 7 have far better management. They put apps to sleep routinely to conserve battery.

I had a non snake-oil experience using the utility 'Greenify' on my Note 2 and going into my Note 4. It did help minimize apps draining battery, and did help extend the time necessary between charges. Nothing will ever replicate the feeling you get when you have a brand new battery, but it is a help.

I loath sealed devices where you can't change the battery. They never asked me about this change. I never asked them for this change. Yet they claim everybody wanted some sort of water resistance. No, not everybody asked for that. I asked for the ability to replace my own damn battery, you fools... Simple money grab. They know when the battery gets bad enough, you'll just go get a new phone, not a new battery. User options are gone.