Stylus alignment problem after HotSync

Discussion in 'Palm' started by jw6o9, Nov 22, 2006.

1. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

If Palm Vx is OS version 3.5 or 3.3, and you have synced your unit to a Palm desktop version 4.1 or newer, the desktop's included UPDATE folder is not compatible with the V series units and will foul the digitizer.

Renaming the Update folder to OLDupdate will prevent the application of an update that can create this issue.

There have also been reported problems with some third party applications or combination of apps causing the same condition.

This was a major problem reported 3 or more years ago, and then isolated by a Vx owner discovering the UPDATE folder issue only a year or so ago.

Ti eliminate the possible loop of returning the conflict to your unit, try these steps.

Rename the \Palm\Update folder to oldupdte.
    Rename the \Palm\[user name]\backup folder to oldbackup.

Hard reset your unit, and verify function of digitizer.
    Hotsync unit, selecting same user name of the folder changed.
    Test function again.

Then revisit your OLDbackup folder and pluck the applications via Quick Install to be returned to your handheld.

Apply one or two at a time, and test each time.

Avoid all system and preference files. If not sure do not return it to the handheld.

Also, it maybe pratical to visit the download versions of your apps. Some may have been updated or written to be compatible with OS 4.1 or newer, if unit has OS 3.5 or older this is another conflict. Normally if the version compatibility issue is presented, a crash, or fatal alert is presented.

Best of Luck and thanks Jim37, never thought anyone read my ramblings:rolleyes:

2. jim37

jim37 just me, no title

Sure, even the chocolate jalapeños...

3. warthoglvr

warthoglvr Mobile Consultant

Many thanks BAB2000 for helping me keep what little hair I have left on my head after undergoing a great deal of frustration with 3 Vxs in our household suddenly developing digitizer problems (yep, I upgraded the Palm desktop). Now, we're all up and running again with smooth digitizers. Thanks for the walk through. You never know who reads your ramblings!

4. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

Your are most welcome, glad to be of service.;)