Struggling with Contacts list

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by stlucia, Mar 15, 2021.

1. stlucia

stlucia Mobile Consultant

Samsung A71, Android 10.

Although I've used the default Contacts list for many years in my current and previous Android phones, I've struggled with a few issues in the current version, usually because I forgot to assign a Group to a new entry. Today I was looking for the number of a dry cleaner I'd contacted and, I thought, saved several weeks ago. It wasn't in my Contacts list, but I was able to find it in my Recent Calls list. So I selected it from that list, tapped the (i) icon, then tapped the Edit icon, saw it was assigned to my 'All Contacts' group, and then tapped Save. But when I checked my Contacts list it wasn't there.

So then I tapped the + symbol in my Contacts list and started to type "Dry Clean", and it immediately showed me the full details and asked if I wanted to update the contact. I accepted that option, checked the details again, and pressed Save. But it still doesn't show in my Contacts list when I reopen it.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong, please?

headcronie and scjjtt like this.
  2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Be sure your view in contacts is set to all contacts and not a specific account or group.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Samsung Note 20 Ultra using Tapatalk

scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  3. stlucia

Thanks headcronie. My view is definitely set to 'All Contacts', and it shows as a header at the top of the list. If I go to the page that allows me to select the view, it shows that I have 339 All Contacts, 337 My Contacts, 2 Starred, and no unallocated.

headcronie and scjjtt like this.
  4. headcronie

I'm out of ideas... :(

5. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

The only thing I can think of is if the information you typed in causes it to be oddly alphabetized. For example, you have sort by last name, so it is listed under the Cs (Cleaner) rather than D (Dry), or there's a leading blank, or... I don't know. Is there a private/hidden setting that could have been accidentally triggered for the contact?

Grasping at straws. I don't have much either.

jigwashere and lelisa13p like this.
  6. stlucia

Thanks Hook, I've already been through the whole 'All Contacts' list manually, and not found it anywhere.

I did notice one strange thing though; when I first searched this morning, when I got to the bottom of the list it reported there were 345 contacts. When I went back to the top of the list I noticed it said the group was 'Phone'. But when I go to the screen that allows me to select a group, there is no group named 'Phone', and the 'All Contacts' group shows 339 records. So where are the other 6 records? And, more to the point, I still can't find the dry cleaner!

lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I'm not familiar with the Samsung contacts application, but it sounds like you're storing those 6 contacts on your phone rather then your Google account. Is there a way to change the storage location of those 6 contacts?

https://www.techbone.net/samsung/user-manual/contact-list

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

8. stlucia

I can easily pull up the entry by tapping the '+' button on the Contacts screen, then starting to type in the name 'Dry clea...'. That gives me the full name that I input a couple of days ago, and the phone number, so then I tap on the edit symbol (a little pencil motif) to get all details. It confirms that it's linked to the gmail account that my Android is registered under, and it confirms that it's in the 'All Contacts' group, but there seems to be no option to change the storage location. I've tried editing the contact name but, whatever I do on the 'Edit' screen, when I tap 'Save' the contact does not appear in my list of 339 'All Contacts', or in any other group.

As for the rest of the 'missing' six entries, I don't know what they are, so I can't try to edit them :(

Edit: I've managed to create the entry I want by creating a new entry with a completely different name and number, saving it, and then editing its name and number to the correct ones. The 'All Contacts' group now contains 340 entries, and my dry cleaner appears correctly there.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    lelisa13p likes this.
  9. headcronie

In the same area as I depicted above, change your view to Phone. This will show you just the contacts in your Phone. This is my one contact I have in my Phone account.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Samsung Note 20 Ultra using Tapatalk

lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.
  10. stlucia

My view doesn't look exactly like yours, but it does show that in 'Phone' I've got 346 contacts, then the listing of 'Groups' shows 0 'Emergency contacts', 341 'All contacts', 0 'Colleagues', 'Family', etc., and 337 'My contacts'. It doesn't help that by default no Group is automatically assigned whenever I add a new contact -- I would have expected at least for it to assign every new contact to the 'All contacts' group by default. Maybe there's a setting for that, but I haven't found it yet.

As for my problem with the 'Dry cleaner' entry, it's now in my 'All contacts' group, and visible, so no need to persue that specific problem further. Thank you.

lelisa13p, RickAgresta and headcronie like this.