Strange issue accessing a web site.

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by abenn, Jul 15, 2017.

1. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

I'm travelling at the moment with my Samsung Android phone and my Samsung Android tablet. They both share my list of favourites, and they all work correctly on both devices, apart from one:

www.standard.co.uk works as normal on my phone, but on my tablet all I get is a bullet-point list, in plain text, of all the section headings for the newspaper. Touching any of them causes the page to reload, but then still display the same plain list.

Any setting that might be causing this, or could it be simply because my tablet's OS has never been updated from its original 4.2.2?

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

all I can think to check is to see if both the phone and tablet are set to display the site in the same way; for instance, in FF for Android, the default (for all sites) is to display as Mobile; that can be easily set to Request desktop site. if all other sites are the same, though, on both devices, that idea may be way off.

EDIT: fwiw, my S5 running 4.4.2, displays a normal webpage (FF, default display as Mobile)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    scjjtt, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  3. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

With some other sites I see it briefly showing m. instead of www. at the top of the screen when I access a site from my favourites list, but it quickly reverts to www. before displaying the requested page.

My tablet used to display the www.standard.co.uk site correctly; it's only on this current trip that it's started doing this. So where do I find the function where I can change the way it displays sites? I can't find it in the Settings menus.

Edit: I've just realised that it works correctly on my tablet if I use Chrome as my browser, instead of the stock Samsung one. Strange thing is the stock Samsung browser works okay on my phone. Anyway, no need to delve further, I'll use Chrome on my tablet from now on.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    scjjtt, lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.
  4. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Have you tried 'view as desktop' or whatever that mode is called? It lets you see the non-mobile version of a site.

5. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

I wasn't aware of that mode, but I've now checked the Desktop View box in the Samsung browser, and it's still the same when I reload the page.

It's a mystery, but not a problem, for Chrome is working okay. Thanks for the suggestion.

6. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Another issue now

A couple of days ago I was using the same default browser to check my credit card statement, and was unable to complete the log-in process due to an error message. So I emailed their support line, but haven't heard back yet.

Anyway, today I realised I should try using Chrome instead, and everything went smoothly.

The dodgy browser simply shows on my desktop as an icon labelled "Internet", but it doesn't appear in my App Manager list, so I can't tell whether it's an Android app or a Samsung special. It's worked fine for me for several years, but from now on I'll be using Chrome.