Still using TX?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Mr. West, Jul 29, 2011.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Palm File Link was pretty cool, back in the day. I could map my Palm contacts to a file, such as a spreadsheet. At one point, Palm dropped this capability, but if you had it setup up in an older version, you would retain it as you upgraded. Help with File Link

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Remember the press release when Palm debuted? New Palm TX Handheld Features Jake Coco's ''Graceland'' Music Video. I think the lyrics are appropriate :D
    Click here to download the mp3 directly from....PalmOne! :newpalm:

3. tverberg

tverberg Mobile Enthusiast

Sigh. I'm moving on from my TX. The screen is becoming more unresponsive. I almost sent it away a year ago to get a new digitizer, but decided my money would be better spent on a new PDA.

So I will be buying an iPod Touch this month. I've never been an Apple fan, but I've been looking at the apps at their app store and it's bringing back the old feelings from when I got my first Palm. All the apps! So many selections! So much I can potentially do! It's been years since I had that thrill with my TX. I wish that some other company had come up with a decent Palm replacement, but I can't think of anything better than the iPod Touch.

[I do NOT need a smartphone, or there would have been other options.]

4. jbenham

jbenham Mobile Deity

This is probably a smart choice. HP could have taken the ball and run with it when they bought Palm, but did not. This is sad because I had owned several Palm devices and thought they were the best thing since sliced bread. I waited until after Christmas last year and bought an iPod Touch. This thing is awesome!

BTW I was born in Bloomington, MN, on Old Shakopee RD. :)

5. wizardb

wizardb Mobile Consultant

Since I retired I only used my Tx to read and play games. Bought a Kindle ereader so I decided to sell the Tx. It actually sold on Ebay within 5 minutes of posting it. Over the years I had several Palm pdas but the Tx was the best and still is for PIM. I miss it but it was time to move on.

6. jbenham

jbenham Mobile Deity

I have almost 100 books formatted for Palm so it is a good excuse to keep it. I have not found an ebook reader app that is as good or better then the one for Palm either. Plus the calculator has an adding machine tape which is really cool and, not having a cell phone, I like the way you can manage your contacts.

7. tverberg

tverberg Mobile Enthusiast

I'm just a few blocks from the Bloomington Ice Garden.

I wish there was a good Android PDA. I need something small to carry in my purse which is why I'm getting the iPod Touch.

I would like a 7" tablet for reading books, doing crossword puzzles, etc. Hopefully, by the end of 2012, there will be a 7" Android tablet worth buying.

So I would end up with a PDA running iOS, a 7" tablet running Android, and a netbook running Windows XP. Plus my primary PC. It's nice to have a variety of operating system platforms.

8. jbenham

jbenham Mobile Deity

Oh there is, the Acer Iconia 100. I got one for my wife for her birthday and she loves it.

9. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

If you wish for such "a good Android PDA", why don't you get yourself an Android phone and use it disconnected? It's been thoroughly discussed around, it can be done. Now, just for the record, do not expect a Palm OS device, it's an Android device, so there are things to achieve and shortcomings to live with when using it as a PDA, but it can certainly be done :)

10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Ahhhhh, the Minnesota contingency gathers. All we need now is Magellan and headcronie! :D

You can get a refurbished Nook color for less than $140 and put Android on it. It's a great little device.