Still using TX?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Mr. West, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Muddling along

Muddling along Mobile Consultant

r0k, you R OKAY. Thank you.
    I have dumped the dummy ID.

BUT...Problems changing the conduits.

Several give me a warning when I tried to change to Handheld overrides desktop. I have puzzled for hours now and still dont understand what its about.
    I get:"File categories will not be updated for this hotsynch option" when I try to change the conduit for:
    Memos
    Address Book
    Memo Pad and
    Contacts

So I am still afraid to hotsynch.

Help.... ( again. Sorry!)

Muddled

2. r0k

r0k Dazed

Do you have custom categories? I think the defaults were personal, business and I can't remember the others. If you created custom categories then they won't show up on the desktop and every record that was in a custom category would become unfiled. It's no big deal really. Of course Palm warnings were so cryptic it could mean that if you have created any categories on the desktop they would be replaced by those coming from the handheld and isn't that what you are trying to do in the first place?

Since you have NVBackup working you can "be brave" and let 'er rip. Carefully examine your data on both ends after the first (very long very slow) sync. Oh. That's right. If your data is corrupt the first sync will fail. Do you have dbscan or dbfixit? If the first sync hangs you should get dbscan or dbfixit and repair the data on the handheld before you try to sync again.

The bottom line is keep handheld overwrites desktop until you are absolutely sure you trust the data on the desktop. This way even if your first sync hangs or fails you are going to overwrite it as soon as you get your data on the handheld "fixed". Of course, if you do wind up repairing the data on the handheld, be sure to let nvbackup make a backup of the freshly repaired data so you don't have to repair it again for any reason.

3. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

I believe the message you receivedwas "File Link categories..."

I never used it and don't know much about it, but that message is about the file link conduit not running. I believe the file link conduit would create text lists of contacts and such. As I said, I never used it and don't know much about it. The bottom line is, I don't think anything wil happen to your categories after you click okay.

4. Muddling along

Hook, you are right. I left out the word. And cryptic is exactly the right word for this and other messages from Palm. It's almost like they want people to be bewildered and anxious (non-technical people, I mean).

r0k, I have no custom categories and don't recognize some of the categories in the Hot synch manager.

I don't have the two fixit tools or the knowledge of how to use them, and (not proud of this) no idea how to actually move NVBackup data onto the TX if I do lose it BUT...

You have given me enough reassurance that I am going to give it a try. I shall let you know. I wish it didn't matter quite so much.

Muddling

5. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

Make sure the prc file for NVBackup in in the launcher folder of your SD card (you can check it on the computer if you need to). If so, even if you hard reset, you will find NVBAckup program displayed on your Palm in the card or all category and you can launch it. It will find the backups on the card and do a full restore.

6. Muddling along

I was just pasting the answers into a text file so I can refer to it when I saw your note,Hook. I don't have a card reader which is how I think I would check for it in the computer. But I think this means that if the data on the TX gets corrupted, I do a hard reset :)eek: ) and put the card in and the TX will automatically copy the data from card to device.

I have just looked at the card in the Palm and I don't see anything except basic card info. I have to just hope I don't need it and if I do, I will be glad you are there. And r0k, I am tucking the card away safely now.

Anxiously Muddling ahead

7. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

With a memory card in your TX, run a new backup with the NVBackup program. Know check the card on the TX and you should see the NVBackup icon there also. You do not need to remove the card from the TX when you do a hotsync. It wil not be effected. If you need to use the backup then all you need to do is open up the card on the TX and select the NVBackup program and restore from the backup.

8. Muddling along

It appears to have worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you thank you thank you.

I haven't checked more than a few things but there is data in the desktop and data in the TX and I am so happy - and finally relaxing.

I won't do another hotsynch (and will remember to change the conduits first) until I have used the Palm desktop for awhile.

Reb1, I will do that after I have had a cup of tea to de-stress. I am guessing from what you say that the order to restore is in that place where it asks me do I want to do a new backup or delete an old one. If not, I will be back.

Thanks again. Whew.

Less Muddled

9. SyncRaven

SyncRaven Mobile Deity

I gave up on my handspring visor neo about 6 months ago - moving onto other things :).
    I have regrets sometimes though.. I've strongly considered going back to it. I sold out my whole very large visor collection other then one barely functional one :) so it would be a pretty big undertaking if I decided to try to get it back :).

Gadget acquisition disorder should be in the psychological handbook.

10. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

I think it is. It's called e-OCD :D