Still using TX?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Mr. West, Jul 29, 2011.

1. authorandrew

authorandrew Now on Ay3sha

That makes sense.

Since we're on the topic, is the 755p a good phone? I mean, call-quality-wise. That's the one thing that might persuade me to move on from my Centro :p

AA

2. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

If it ain't broken, don't try to fix it :p The 755p is an excellent phone, all phone-wise. In comparison, the 680 is a so-so phone. The 755p is much more stable, with excellent sound quality. Coverage issues may apply, though.

3. authorandrew

OK. I haven't been impressed with my Centro's call quality - an el-cheapo Nokia I picked up beat it solidly =P I wonder what 755p's go for on eBay...I'll probably stick with Ayesha, though :D

AA

4. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

2 things to consider.

1. Are you using a GSM centro? I might be wrong, but I don't remember a GSM version of the 755p ever appearing-- which is why the 680 remained popular.

2. Comparing anyone's call quality to a Nokia, in my experience, is pointless. Nobody can touch Nokia for call quality. ;)

5. authorandrew

Ah, that settles it then - my Centro is GSM. Now that I think about it, that's why I bought a Centro in the first place. :rolleyes:

AA

6. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

1. Correct. The Treo 755p and all the 7XX subseries are CDMA, no exceptions, and the Treo 680 and all the 6XX subseries are GSM, with the sole exception of the Treo 600 that was sold in both versions CDMA and GSM. Even though the model serialing doesn't reveal it, the Treo 755p slightly predates the Treo 680, and the latter was the GSM and economy version of the former. In its own time the Treo 755p was incredibly expensive, while the Treo 680 was still pricy but still within the common smartphone range. The price difference is not incidental. The 755p is a much better device. The 680 still is by far more popular because it's GSM as you point out, but also because it's much more affordable.

2. Totally agree again. Speaking of cellphone performance, even a 10 bucks Nokia superdumbphone beats the crap out of much more 'evolved' devices :D IME only the Motos come close, and then some.

7. jbenham

jbenham Mobile Deity

The only Palm I had a problem with is the z72. The battery would not hold a charge. I still have a z32 and the T|X and both work well.

8. ptootill

ptootill Mobile Deity

Hi Hook - no one else seems to have picked this up but I do use PI on an iPod and a BB. On the BB it also does contacts but I don't use it for that as I find the BB contact manager adequate (I only really need it for phone numbers and the very occasional email).

Having finally succumbed to pressure from folks at work to try an iDevice, I picked up a used iPod Touch on eBay. Pocket Informant was one of the things that convinced me to try it. I'm not sure how well it compares to datebk on the TX as it's a long time since I made as full use of a calendar app as I did with the TX. However, I do use it regularly. I also use the Toodledo task sync feature - until I discovered Toodledo, I had never really got on with task managers. I also use the iPod Toodledo app for a bit more fully featured interface. I also use PI on my Blackberry Pearl 3g (I still like a compact phone I can stick in the small pouch on my jeans) when I don't have the iPod.

The wide range of apps for the iOS is tempting. There's just so much out there. I was also pleased to find iOS version of Automobile from the TX that I have been using for years use for tracking my car fuel, etc. Past data was easy to import.

When wifi is available, the iPod syncs with my work exchange email & calendar and my other IMAP email accounts. I also use bluetooth to connect via the BB when there's no wifi. Had to jailbreak the iPod to get that to work, though :(

Strangely enough, I also use the iPod to listen to music! :)

9. Muddling along

Muddling along Mobile Consultant

Hi, Brighthanders,

I too still use a TX. It is my lifeline to everything and everyone important. You have been my lifeline to it and I am here to ask advice once more.

Five years ago I came here in a panic because my ill-educated attempt to upgrade from a Clie to the TX ended in catastrophe. Bab2000, ROk, lelisap13, Mares of earth, sGosnell (hope I have those right) and others helped the IT man at my then employer fix it. What a nightmare it was. I still look back with amazement at the generosity here.

Now my harddrive on my Latitude D830, XPPro, is making disturbing noises, so I have bought a refurbished D830 ($299 - about 1/10th of what I paid for the original!). I've moved my data over and my Thunderbird but am frozen in fear about moving the Palm data to the desktop,which I have already installed on the "new" computer.

I have scoured this forum and others,including Hook's page of links, but the information seems to be about upgrading the device or solving catastrophes like mine. How do I transfer the data and not erase the TX?

I have backed up to my card with NVbackup, and I have copied the whole folder to a USB drive. I have no third party apps to worry about. I have installed the software on the refurbished computer.

BUT...as many people advise in the forum over the years, I put a new "dummy" name on the desktop but have never been clear why. Maybe that is for a different issue. Do I use a dummy name and change it after synching or use the name on the device and the original laptop?

Second, can I simply synch? Or do I change all the conduits to Handheld overides desktop? I notice in one answer Bab2000 had pointed out that the desktop folder is newer than the TX and hotsynch will synch newer to older, and that would wipe out the TX. But I notice in other threads people simply say to synch.

This perhaps should be a new thread so I hope this is alright. My intent will be to replace the harddrive on the first Latitude and go through the process in reverse once I get everything safely over.

Thanks....I remain
    Muddling along

10. r0k

r0k Dazed

Welcome back, Muddling along! I suggest simply installing Palm Desktop on the new machine, connecting your TX and then pick "handheld overwrites desktop" for every conduit. You might want to create a profile on the desktop for your hotsync name first but I'm not even sure that's necessary.

Good thing you have a TX as usb support for Palm devices is spotty at best for Windows and more recently OS X as Rosetta (the only way you can run Palm Desktop on a Mac) is gone beginning with the latest OS X Lion. As long as you can get it to sync just once, you should be able to do any future hotsync via wifi.

You have your TX backed up using NVbackup. I would take that SD card out and put it in a vault while you get hotsync working. That way you can always use nvbackup to restore if things go seriously south.