Still using TX?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Mr. West, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I don't quite buy that. I'm not going to defend cellphone makers or carriers; but some of these obviously desirable functions would provide a competitive advantage. I had thought Android might take up that baton; but they haven't quite. A company that needs a boost (RIM, WebOS/HP, etc.) might look at some of these areas to distinguish their OS's and devices.

2. authorandrew

authorandrew Now on Ay3sha

Ah, nice to be back on Brighthand again...

HP used to run the WinMo iPaqs, didn't they? Certainly they'd have some interest in creating a business-geared version of WebOS? All they'd have to do is turn on an old TX, duplicate a few of the old PIMs and I'd be happy :D

I actually gave my T|X to my brother...he never uses it since it no longer holds a charge and the calibration is nothing. I would fix it up except my trusty Centro is still my go-to mobile device. It's especially handy for me as it's unlocked thus when I travel overseas I can quickly pop in another SIM and I'm good to go :D I wouldn't give it up for the world even though my laptop has usurped much of what I used to do with it.

AA

3. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Hey, pal! Good to see ya back! :)
    Just curious, how stable is the Centro in your experience?

Hey #2! I followed that link in your sig, to Mosaic Studio. Andrew, is that your business? :eek:

4. authorandrew

@hal: It feels dirty saying this in the TX forum, but the Centro is a much more stable beast, IMO. I honestly think that the lack of Wi-Fi in this case helps the Centro. At any rate, it's much less prone to crash, and right now when I'm using it just as a PDA and not a phone the battery life is superb :D

It is my business :p Times have changed, yes?

AA

5. hal

Ha ha, yes it's kinda dirty. I wonder cause my Treo 680 is not the most stable Palm OS device, so in the event that I have to replace, I'd like to know if a Centro would do a good replacement.

Good! Times have changed, indeed :newpalm:

6. authorandrew

I see. I had a friend with a 680 and he envied my Centro's stability. =P The one thing to consider is that the keyboard is substantially smaller. I personally feel the Centro's is quite adequate, but it is smaller.

AA

7. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

FWIW: My Centro was much much more stable than the several TX's I had....

8. hal

Odd enough, or perhaps it's just that the Centro was the tail end of the Palm OS saga, and there are much less reports on behalf of users than there are from the TX.

9. authorandrew

Possibly. I still honestly think that the Wi-Fi had something to do with it as my only other palm, a Z22, was also rock-solid. Seems the T|Xs I had were the only ones with problems :p

AA

10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I suspect that the amount of the NVFS DB cache has a lot to do with it; the TX has only 13meg, while the Centro has, I believe, 17meg (I seem to recall the 755p being similar to the Centro; I'm looking at the 755p)