Still using TX?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Mr. West, Jul 29, 2011.

1. tverberg

tverberg Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't aware of the Acer Iconia 100. I'll put it on my watch list for next year. My need for a PDA is greater than my need for the 7" tablet and I don't want to spend the money for both of them right now.

Personally, I like the idea of an iOS PDA plus a 7" Android tablet. What I can't run on one system, I can run on the other.

2. tverberg

tverberg Mobile Enthusiast

It was with trepidation that I bought my iPod Touch this week. But, boy!, am I having fun finding apps. I LOVED doing that on my Palm and I've missed it so much. Now I'm downloading apps similar to what I ran on my Palm.

I'll spend this next week figuring out how to transfer my data from my Palm to my iTouch, and I will retire my Palm. The left side of my Palm's screen is really unresponsive and it can be a real trick to set the alarm in BigClock.

If Palm had really kept at their development, I wonder if they could have had the most popular smart phone in the market.

3. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Welcome to the family. :)

My first Apple was the same as yours in early 2009 and as you can see from my signature, I am way down the rabbit hole & not looking to get out anytime soon. :p

But my Calendar is still also on TX via DateBk6. :)

4. jbenham

jbenham Mobile Deity

Aren't they great?:cool: Got my iPod Touch the day after Christmas last year as that is the best time to buy. But I will not give up the TX!

5. Dngrsone

Dngrsone One Serious Wiku

My (fourth? fifth?) T|X is wigging out on me-- it is spontaneously trying to hotsync to a computer that is not connected.

[​IMG] Actually, I don't even have a computer set up to sync to it, now that I think of it...

I'm wondering how long I should continue to stretch this along... I love my T|X, I use it for reading and I absolutely live on DateBk6; but how much longer will I be able to replace my machine?

Is it worth $100 or so every 18 months or so? Is there even a DateBk6 equivalent out there in the 'smart' phone market? I like having my PDA and phone separate and I like having an eReader and music player and calendar app on-hand all the time.

Yes, the screen is somewhat small for reading, and formatting books for it can be a pain, but it's more portable than a dedicated reader and, like I said, I always have it on-hand...

Sorry... just venting a bit.

6. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Hi Dngrsone,

If you want have a separate device, I suggest that you take a look at Samsung Galaxy Player 4".

As for DateBk6, take a look at Pimlical.

Pimlical Screen Shots

7. Dngrsone

Dngrsone One Serious Wiku

Hrm... $229 is a bit high for me... but maybe I can swing it for Christmas.

8. ptootill

ptootill Mobile Deity

I've been using Pocktet Informant on my iPOD and it seems pretty good. I don't have the need for heay duty use like I did when I was using Datebk6 on my T|X so I can't say if it's as fully featured.

Has anyone done a side by side comparison of the two? I'd be interested to hear the results.

9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

PI is more full-featured than the stock Calendar & will sync with Google Calendar which I gather is its main attraction. I'm not interested in that option. I don't think there is any Calendar for iOS that can compare with DateBk6. :(

My fondest hope is that since Pimlical is now available for Android, CESD will be able to come to some sort of working agreement with Apple regarding same. I should check on this again since it's been a year since I last investigated the prospect.

10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Also, if you pick up a smartphone and don't activate it, you'll have a Hook-like PDA :D. I was comparing, side-by-side, my TX & DroidX yesterday. Actual screen sizes are close to identical; the 'X is narrower, mainly due to the bezel, but is a bit taller. It's running Android 2.3.i-have-no-clue (Gingerbread), and the OS is totally stock from Verizon. I'm happy with it…something this 'old' may not get the upgrade to 4.0 (IceCreamSandwich), if that matters for your needs
    All that having been said, when I just checked eBay (used w/ no activation required, ~$100USD) I was reminded that this is my 2nd, first was replaced within 6 months due to a screen futz•up : the lower 80% was like a color TV on a station with no channel, just color snow, when cold, fine when warm or 'hot'. This is to say, the 'X might not be the best choice, but there are many 'previously owned' Android smartphones to consider, were you to go this route. Good luck Dngr!