Still using TX?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Mr. West, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Mr. West

Mr. West Palm Convert

Just curious, who's still using their TX? I found a complete, in-box, TX at the thrift store the other day and have started to use it again in combination with my smartphone. I had a TX a few years ago that I used, but eventually sold it. However, I'm finding my smartphone is not all that great for PIM. I just can't seem to get past the fact that palms have and probably always will have, the best PIM system. Anybody agree/disagree?

2. r0k

r0k Dazed

I agree. Nobody's PIM stands up to what Palm once had. I use an iPhone 4. When iOS 5 comes out, I can finally do a full sync via wifi which is something I took for granted with my TX. I have a TX in a drawer somewhere. I really should charge it, wipe it and sell it. Somebody could get some good use out of the thing. For me the downfall of the TX was its network connectivity. Sure you could join a wifi network but then how could you get data on and off the device (besides wifi hotsync to a computer)? Wifile Pro? I doubt they are even around any more to issue registration codes. Today I find it more of a priority to have my calendar and email sync wirelessly through a cloud to my computer than to worry about the quality and flexibility of the PIM applications.

So the way I see it, I've given a little to get a lot. And what the heck? If I really miss PalmOS that much, I'm only a jailbreak plus 50 bucks away from running styletap.

3. Mr. West

Mr. West Palm Convert

r0K,

First off I find it funny that Palm had wireless sync back in 2005 (maybe earlier?) and it's only becoming a real option now in 2011 for iphone users (correct me if I'm wrong)! Secondly, cloud storage/sync is great, but I find it only useful for email and say Evernote or some sort of calendar. Do most people really need cloud storage/sync anyways? What's wrong with keeping your data on your device and then just remembering to sync with your computer every now and then? I realize that with cloud sync, your data is backed up automatically, all the time, but is it really necessary? What about security issues?

I think wifi hotsync is a good solution for getting data on and off of the TX. There really is no other way, unless of course you want to hook up the USB cable...

But really, it's a shame that most PIM applications these days are half-baked compared to what Palm created back in the day. The Palm PIM's still hold their own even today!

About the iphone, I've used one, but just don't care for the UI. In fact, I hate it, even though I'm a Mac user. But, I suppose iOS5 is remedying many of the complaints users have had. I'm currently on a Droid phone, and even it's calendar sucks. There wasn't even a built-in to-do or tasks app! Yes, the new smartphones have much more robust applications and functionality, but when it comes right down to it, Garnet is simple, straightforward and just gets shi* done.

4. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

I have a TX and still use it for listening to music, reading books and the PIMs. If you need to sync it on a 64bit Windows computer Aceeca wrote a 64bit driver.

5. Strife89

Strife89 Always Struggling

I still use my T|X from time to time, but the touchscreen is in bad need of replacement and the power button has failed. My Compact-Flashed LifeDrive gets more use these days.

That said, the TX was bought used and wasn't in great shape to begin with. I'd like purchase one in good condition, one of these days.

6. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

I still use a Palm Treo 680 on a daily basis. OK, by now it's like driving a classic car (pick your choice for the example). It's what you got, and it's affordable, and you like it, but you gotta be ready to solve the issues that it's gonna get you into.

My Treo currently behaves as a full-fledge smartphone. I initially used it within the seminal smartphone scope: PDA + cellphone in the same case. But then I started paying data blocks for mobile connection, and I've been using it for email, Google Maps and a basic web surfing. As the internal memory is rather meager for the current standards, I've given up the Facebook and Twitter clients. Even though it totally supports most contemporary media, provided that the right apps are onboard, I rather not, cause one of the biggest setbacks of this model is energy efficiency, and I need the energy for phone calls, PIM, and mobile office productivity.

So, I seldom carry a secondary Palm OS device :)D), a Palm Zire 31. One of the best Palm OS devices ever, BTW. It's faster than my Treo for note-taking, and it can digest any imaginable media, and then I can keep my Treo's battery for say the serious part of life. But OK, there was a time in which I carried un-converged, this is a cellphone + a PDA. Sometimes, just sometimes, this is justified again, so I still sync my Palm Z22 to the same Outlook profile than my Treo 680, and DV DTG, and HandMark MobileDB, and then I can carry all my basic info in yet a different case. Besides, a set of my Contacts in Outlook is properly replicated in another folder to sync into my MotoSLVR. So it's very uncommon that I retype any given phone number or email.

There is still a Palm Zire 21 in my desk, my first Palm ever, that I am reluctant to get rid off. After I replace the digitizer, as it carries very little internal memory, I think I'm making a universal remote control out of it. And there is also a Palm m515 that needs a very deep repair (death by milk + chocolate), and if I ever make it work again, I think it's getting a secondary job as ebook reader. Speaking of ebook readers, an IBM WorkPad c3 (Palm OS v.3.0) makes an excellent ebook reader at my night table. Ah, yeah, and there's also this Palm Treo 755p inherited by my dad that I gotta activate with a PAYG account. As of now, the latter is perhaps the best of all the Palm OS devices I have, and perhaps it's gonna turn into a device for the daily basis.

Forgot to add: no, I don't own a Palm T|X :D :D :D

7. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Two TXs here, one a year younger than the other and used as a cloned backup device mostly. Using PIMs in DateBk6 and unable to seriously consider any other app for that purpose. Using the same apps on TX that I always did but the older one is needing to be charged more often now, the screen is ignoring taps sometimes and Graffiti entry now is obscenely screwy more often than not. Must find the time and $ to send off for batteries & screen replacements. :(

Carrying two devices daily, iPhone 4 (with its horribly inadequate Calendar) and a trusty TX. :)

Hi, haland Strife89. [​IMG]

8. Mr. West

Mr. West Palm Convert

Wow, this is a better response than I imagined! Hal, I used to use a 700p and then moved to a 755p. The 755 was great, but pretty much died. I still have the 700p, but do not use it. I'm always on the lookout for used Zires at my local thrift shops. I'll see one occasionally, but they are usually pretty beat.

lelisa13p, your point about the "horribly inadequate Calendar" on the iphone4 sums it up. The TX shines bright in this area compared to the iphone or the stock android calendar. What other apps do you regularly use on your TX? I use mine mainly for memos, tasks, and the calendar, but also occasionally use ptunes for some internet radio. Too bad ptunes is now defunct as well!

9. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

I'm curious if any of the iPhone users here have tried Pocket Informant for iOS. The Android version has a ways to go, but it is getting there. The iOS version is about a years developmental cyle ahead of the Android version and even offers wireless sync directly to Outlook (Windows only), which will happen with a future version of the Android app.

I have a fully functioning TX, and even maintain a TX help page with references and downloads (see my sig), but I have no desire to return to it. It's PIMs are not so much better as simply there. Smartphones didn't evolve from PDAs. PDAs, Palms, were intended as an electronic PIM from day one. Everything else they did was a clunky add-on. Smartphones evolved from cell phones and media devices. The APIs for sophisticated PIMs were never a part of their DNA.

What's there in the Android world is still evolving, but thanks to 3rd party developers, there are some pretty good choices on the horizon (they aren't quite there yet, but I get by all right while they are getting there). There is nothing so horrible that I would struggle with the over-burdened, single tasking, stylus driven Palm OS ever again. And frankly, outside of PIMs, my Nexus One does everything better than my TX.

Don't get me wrong. I love and have great affection for my TX. It served me well from 2005 to 2009. I even refurbished it with a new MB and glass-backed digitizer. However, I have definitely found something better.

My opinion only, of course. :)

10. kanguerilla

kanguerilla Mobile Enthusiast

Still using my T|X, but it needs a (second) new digitizer and has gotten a little funky in the past six months, so I'm getting worried.

I bought a Palm Pre Plus when Verizon got them, but haven't yet found a good, non-cloud solution for transferring and maintaining ten + years of calendar, notes, etc. from my T|X to the Pre, so I've been carrying both around. I'd definitely buy a new T|X if I could find one for the right price.